Chapter 11- Party time part 2

Mel's point of view:

Maddy was planning something, I was sure of it. She had that conspiring look in her eyes that was all too familiar. I plastered a smile on my face and handed her the cup in my hands, sensing from her dilated eyes that it probably wasn't the best idea to give her more vodka. 

I knew it was a role reversal as it was always her looking after me, but I would usually share a look with Dom at this point, but not anymore. I knew everyone was noticing it, including Maddy. But, I just didn't have the courage to tell her everything. My throat thickened slightly at the thought. Greg would have understood, he wasn't great at all that 'feelings' crap, but he would have cheered me up. Albeit in a teasing, borderline irritating way, but there was always an underlying feeling of support. Like a safety net. I just wished I could explain that I had ruined one of the most important things in my life. That I ruined the perfect friendship. 

"Are you alright Mel?" Lily asked me in a low voice, pulling me out of my depressing reverie

"Yes, fine" I plastered a smile on my face and blinked away the accumulation of tears in my eyes. She didn't look convinced, but nodded at the resolution on my face. Probably recognizing that I didn't want to talk about it. Good. 

A new song started, the bass heavy and pounding senselessly in my ears. I used to love dancing at parties, but so had Greg (when drunk enough) and it was the swirl of memories that rushed through my head that stopped me from immediately swaying to the beat. Greg could entertain the whole room when he got going- his moves were so eclectic. A ghost of a smile crept onto my face at the thought. He would want me to have fun, surely? 

Just then Ana grabbed hold of my arms and move me from side to side, forcing me to dance. She was so petite that she had to practically jump on the spot to make my arms move. I let out a laugh and half heartedly moved with her hilarious attempt to make me have fun. In that moment my smile was genuine- my friends had been really great these past couple of weeks and I was thankful, even if I didn't act like it all the time.

A frown replaced the smile quickly as I saw the Maddy snaking an arm around Dom's waist. I clenched my fists so hard my nails were making indentations in the sensitive skin of my palms. I resisted the urge to rip her arm off of him, I was being irrational and I knew that. Of course Maddy was my best friend and I  wouldn't harm a single hair on her head, I took in a huge gust of air to calm myself. 

I danced with renewed gusto, determined not to look at them. I let go, forgetting everything, thinking was for later. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes as Dean was being yanked away from us by Alex. To my surprise, Dean's face was a picture of disgust, like he wanted nothing better than to fling her hand off his arm. For a moment, I felt a little confused because Alex was really pretty- the Dean I knew would have been all over her.

Maddy strode up to her immediately, so quickly that I knew she must have been watching closely. She leaned in and murmured some unintelligible words in the girls ear. Alex's expression switched from outrage to smiling in an instant and she nodded at Maddy in recognition. Her eyes rested on Lily as she slurred: 

"I didn't realize Dean. My apologies" Her tone suggested she was anything but sorry. I rolled my eyes at her, but let it go. She was never like that sober. Lily Iooked a bit shocked at the attention and shot Maddy a questioning look.

"Wanna dance Lil?" Dean asked, staring at her intently. She nodded, a faint pink spreading across her cheeks. Lily never blushed; Dean's eyes seemed to light up another shade of blue at her reaction. He mouthed a ' thank you' in Maddy's direction and she smiled warmly back in acknowledgment. Before I could ask what that was all about, I looked around to see Joe embracing Dom, seeming to need support.