43. Short-lived Happiness

Yuka wasn't sure if she had done something wrong. "Did I, Sakuya?" She asked the equally clueless sniper. "He had been that cold for days." She momentarily stopped from a tour of the old power plant, and Sakuya followed soon after. "I don't remember doing anything to upset him that much."

Sakuya wished she had all the answers for when everyone literally comes up to her to ask. Being the oldest sure has its downsides. "Isn't it just his usual self? I don't see any difference in his behavior."

"I guess... I guess I'm just over-thinking this, no?" She glanced up at the older female to find her face decorated by a warm, reassuring smile. "... Yup, I definitely am." But she's not Ichinose Yuka if she will just rest with that bloody resolve. Soma openly rejected her when she wanted to be his partner for one of the missions—he just usually doesn't care.

"If you're that bothered, talk to him," Sakuya told her with a roll of her eyes.

The blonde mirrored her expression. "That's just going to make him push me away even more."

"Then go for the opposite approach. Let him be for a bit."

In return to the sniper's suggestion, she laughed, "That's what I've been doing for days." Her laughter then mellowed to a low, whiny groan. "If this goes on, Sakuya, I swear to the heavens I'd go nuts in no time. I miss him."

"Oh, you'll be fine. You stuck with that attitude for twelve years straight. What more are a few days?" Another laugh made it past the sniper's lips at the sight of the blonde childishly pouting. "Speaking of Soma, I'm surprised to know that there is actually a tame side to him." Her eyes traveled from the sheepishly smiling blonde to the environment surrounding them, puddles of water creating little splashes and ripples as they walked over. The gentle sound of running water was a serene music to the ears. "I've worked with him for some time now, but he'd always be like a silent wolf ready to pounce. Even Alisa was surprised to discover that his hands hold gentleness in them." Though it was more of a surprise to see that the blonde was not fussing over the topic as she expected she would. Instead, her eyes had that rather wistful gaze towards the horizon. "And when C teased him about losing you," Sakuya continued, watching her expressions intently. "You should have seen his facade crumble."

Yuka sighed. "Soma feels he is responsible of my well-being. He thinks if something happens to me, he will be the one to blame. C doesn't help in that field either—she just keeps taunting Soma about it. I can't make a jump into that furnace without burning him too. Don't misinterpret it as him caring for me, Sakuya. He just... doesn't break promises." She turned to look at the sniper, but broke eye contact almost immediately. "He made one with my father—to look after me."

"But... for him to keep that promise this long... Surely, it could at least mean he does care, right? He might not just be aware of it. It is Soma, after all."

They shared laughter, and the pensive glaze on her eyes momentarily vanished. "Say, Sakuya," the blonde then began, shortly after a while of silence. "We've been in and around the plant but the charged Chi-You hasn't shown up yet."

"Could it have flown away?" The raven-haired female asked, eyes narrowing.

"Highly doubt that." Aragami activity had hollowed out the primary power plant facility underground, which caused most of it to collapse and sink. They have only rounded up the ground level. If the Chi-You is nowhere to be found upland, then either it did have flown away or... A stark white figure appeared on her vision for split second, and though unclear, Yuka found it a much safer option to push the Vice Captain out of the way, for the figure was right at their very feet. "Shit—!"