21

Surprisingly Harley welcomed us with open arms. Whether it be out of fear or curiosity, he immediately beckoned our group into his small home, giving us fresh towels and offering us a change of clothing but we all refused, still wondering what the boy really wants from us. No one is this generous these days.

He sits us around the table, in front of the fire and then begins to chop up the rabbit on the table as we sit in silence. Tate, clearly not happy with the boy's sudden change of heart, sits sulking at the table, arms crossed, displaying a permanent frown.

Look, Tate, I understand where all this is coming from. I really do. But can you at least try and show a bit of gratitude until we can figure out what his deal is? I push the thoughts toward Tate and give him a sympathetic look. He scoffs and looks away but I take the chance and invade his thoughts, feeling satisfied as he lets me in.

How can he have gone from fighting us in his own backyard to letting us into his house for the night? He thinks out loud, knowing I am inside his mind. I shake my head in response, careful not to alert the others through any sudden movements.

More importantly is it even safe here? For all we know that little storm of his could have alerted the DAC and they are on their way now. I sigh, knowing he has a point.

It's fine, we have been walking all afternoon. I'm sure we are far enough away from them. Anyway they might have just thought it was just a natural weather event. Tate scoffs at my reasoning, receiving a confused look from Sydney not yet knowing the extend of my powers.

We all know that was anything but natural. He adds as more of his thoughts about our situation wonder freely but instead I pull out, too tired for arguments. Then I turn my attention to Harley.

"So Harley, it's just you living out here?" I ask, breaking the silence.

"Pretty much. Moved over here from Melbourne about a few years ago," he says as he starts to throw pieces of rabbit into a pot along with various vegetables I don't recognise.

"So you moved all the way to America from Australia, by yourself may I add, then just decided to live in a log cabin in the middle of Pennsylvania? That seems a bit odd to me," Tate asks, earning a gental kick under the table and an angry look from me.

"Tate! I'm sure he has a reason..." I start but Sydney interrupts.

"He has a point, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?" Sydney stares at Harley but he doesn't respond.

"And, you're clearly a highly ranked Eccentric, living alone, with no DAC monitors watching," Tate glances back at me.

"Are you on the run or something? Because if you are that's pretty sick-" Eddie joins in but pauses when he sees my irritated look.

"Guy's, how about we stop with the interrogation and let Harley speak for himself." I say and give him an encouraging smile.

"Ok look, I won't go into much detail." He starts, looking away awkwardly. "It's quite a long story."

"Don't worry. We have time," Tate mutters as he leans back in his chair and places his feet up on the table while crossing him arms over his broad chest. After a little hesitation, Harley sighs and stops his work in the kitchen to answer our many questions.

"Well the examination system in Australia is quite a lot different." He starts, placing the knife down on the table and taking a seat with the rest of us.

"When my parents found out about my abilities when I was 16, they reacted quite differently." He continues. "You see, in Australia, all six-teen-year-olds are made to have a simple blood test, none of this triggering reaction crap you have here. So instead our abilities form naturally in a safe, monitored environment. If you are positive, you are brought in for further tests, that figure out just how dangerous you are and then you are sent to facilities similar to those you have here. Simple as that." The table breaks out into quiet debate over the ethics of the examination in America but I nod at Harley to continue.

"But you see, when my parents got the call that I had been tested positive they didn't bring me in for further tests, instead they packed by bags put me on the first plane out of there. They didn't exactly think the plan through and I've been on the run ever since." The table is silent for a few minutes, processing it all before Eddie begins another debate.

"Wait let me get this straight." Eddie says and glances over at me. "You came all the way here to hide from the Australian equivalent of the DAC then to live within a few miles of the compound."

"Ever heard of hiding in plain sight?" Harley says then mumbles, "and it's a bit further than a few miles. I'm not that stupid,"

"Regardless of that, your story doesn't exactly match up," Tate states receiving a glare from Harley.

"Look believe it if you want, if not it doesn't bother me. We are all in the same situation here whether you like it or not." Tate stares at Harley for second, opening and closing his mouth as he considers what to say next but doesn't get a chance as Harley begins to talk again.

"Anyway enough about me," he says, changing the topic, "let's talk about how a group of four, clearly eccentric teenagers, a middle aged mute women and a twelve-year-old girl needed up in the middle of a forest a few miles from a high profile DAC prison."

"I'm not mute," mumbles my aunt as she stares down into her lap not daring to say another word. I look over at her in sadness, remembering the outgoing aunt that I had somehow lost then glance back up at Harley who looks at me for a response.

"Well you see that's a long story..."