Chapter 4

Entering the glass castle, I am in awe of the infrastructure which gleams in the combined mix of light from the blue river of fire outside the home and the gentle yellow light of the candles that float in mid-air along the walls of the palace. Little lights zip around the foyer as we walk through and upon closer inspection, I realise that they are not lights but little people with pixie-like ears and clear wings like that of a fly but in the shape of a butterfly.

The little giggles of the tiny people make me smile as they talk amongst themselves, curiously flying around me. What I thought was a floor under my feet turns out to be a thick panel of glass that allows me to see through the river of blue flames, as per what the text described, the Devil is truly the synonym for punishment and fear. In the blue flamed river swims the grotesque faces of men and women frozen in the image of pain as the flames nip at their unprotected bodies.

"Close the floor, Arima," He says to a little person who flies up to him. "I'll be in the living room until it's time for dinner. Find me there if anyone should need me in an hour."

The little person, Arima, bows in acknowledgement of her orders which she is swift to accomplish seeing as the next time I glance to the floor under my feet, I no longer stand on thick panelled glass but rich cream marble flooring. Pulling me to walk ahead of him once he opens a door to a room which I assume is the living room he was talking about to Arima, I get one last glance of the little people before he closes the heavy wooden door, blocking their sight.

"Now that we're alone, let's talk," he states, walking past me to sit on the large armchair just in front of the hearth that lights up when he's near it. "Have a seat, Toria."

For some reason, fear doesn't seem to be one of the many emotions running through my body as I comply with his request, sitting down on the couch nearest to him. I'd say I feel rather relaxed and comfortable here which isn't the sort of feeling you should have when a stranger you bumped into this morning, possessed all of your thoughts during the day, appeared at night after giving you papers to tell you that your his 'mate' since he turned out to be the Devil in disguise.

"Considering that you have yet to eat, I'll make this brief," He states seriously, crossing his legs. "From now on, you will be staying here with me. As you have already read, you know who I am and I can tell you with confidence that I know who you are. I hope you call me Dominic or any shortened version of that name if you so wish. I will alternate between 'Victoria' and 'Toria'. Any questions?"

The reality of the situation hits me as his words wash over me like a tidal wave. I stay here with him? What about mum and Danny? They're probably worried sick about me right now.  With that, I find my voice and say, "I want to go home."

"That isn't a question," He sighs tiredly as though he expected my response. "You can't go back to that place you called home. Helmsley Mansion is your home now."

"I want to go home," I repeat, louder this time. "Please."

Shaking his head, he reaches out to touch the crown of my head which has me shouting, "DON'T TOUCH ME!"

As if an invisible barrier had been set up, his hand flies back. Unexpectedly, this invisible barrier expands from where I'm sitting since I watch in horror when his chair is overturned with him on it and a sound like lightning bounces off the walls as the invisible barrier electrocutes him. Sparks fly and he is thrown backwards, his red eyes wide in shock as he is sent into the concrete walls.

No! A small voice inside me screams forcing my body to move on its own, rushing to his side once he falls off of the wall and onto the floor, coughing at the dust. Muttering apologies, I push my long hair behind my ear as I hook my arm around his large bicep in an attempt to help him stand. 

"H..hey, are you okay?" I stutter as he rectifies his overturned armchair. "Wha...what was that?"

Glaring at me, I shrink back slightly wondering if I offended him and I release his arm when he looks down to my tiny hands holding on to his bicep. With his hand, he brushes off the dust on his body stating informatively, "If I were you, I wouldn't say those three words to me ever again."

Shivering from the intensity of his glare, I hold my arms as he continues to straighten himself out. What just came over me? I raise my hands to my heated cheeks of embarrassment recalling the way I acted, realising that they're wet. Why am I crying? 

Sniffing, I step back from him, my eyes wide and unseeing, my fingers trembling, the realisation that I have no idea where I am hits me on full. "Please...take me home. I want to go home. I'm so scared...I hurt you..."

"No," He sighs, the walls of the room we are in tremble as his voice shakes the very earth we stand on. "You're staying here. It's better me than those mortals."

Water flows like streams down my cheeks, I want to say something...I want to protest...but I can't...his logic makes my argument void and I have no other reason to go back to my world if it weren't for my family. So, instead, my knees give way and I am on the floor on my knees crying my heart out.

Coming to me, he lifts me into his arms before sitting on his chair in front of the fire. Pathetically weeping into my hands, I feel my heart swelling at his hands on me, my heart leaping into my throat, beating like there's no tomorrow.

"It's the bond," He murmurs down to me, as he cradles me into his chest. "Whatever my father did to you, he's made you the opposite of me. I believe there is a human saying that goes 'opposites attract'. A counterbalance, if you will."

Still sobbing, he awkwardly rubs my back in an attempt to calm me down. The feel of his eyes scanning my hiccuping body makes me feel self-conscious. With the constant change of homes, I've never gotten the chance to get close to anyone in the schools I'm enrolled in much less have any intimacy with the opposite gender.

"Master, dinner is ready," a squeaky voice informs from the door to the living room. "Shall Masha serve it?"

"Your Mistress will have her dinner after she sleeps," He responds coldly. "I will be taking her to her bedroom now."

"Master will not be eating?" the squeaky voice asks curiously.

"I will eat with her."

Standing from his seat, he takes me out of the living room, up a few flights of stairs and into a hallway. The marbled floors change into blood-red carpets whilst the concrete walls turn from a light grey colour to padded deep velvet black walls.

"This is our room," He informs me as he sets me down on soft bedding, tucking me under the covers. "Sleep for a bit and I'll wake you in a few hours to answer the questions I know you will have about this situation."

Just as I am about to protest at sleeping since I'm not feeling tired at all, he waves a hand over my eyes and like a camera capturing a moment, I am fast asleep.