Out Of The Fire And Into The Inferno

"So it was an accident?" Zia asked. "You're certain?"

"Very certain," Arch assured her. "Borton was up early this morning and found signs of where a strong wind had blown a few hot embers out of the fire ring. The ring had been left unsupervised because we were all at the feast."

"How could a few small embers make something so destructive?" Heath asked thoughtfully.

"Oh, you'd be surprised at what just a little spark can do," Borton told him. "Believe me, I know."

William Borton had lost both his wife and daughter to a house fire eighteen years ago. Only, he'd had no idea that the fire had been started by Daxtor Myrna, who had stolen his child, Zia, from the blaze and had left Borton's wife to burn in the flames. Heartbroken, Borton had moved to Skilae to live with distant family, thinking that both Felicity and Zia had been burned to a crisp, when, in reality, Zia had been kidnapped and raised by Daxtor, beaten on a regular basis in an effort to get her to reveal the gift of the Silver Dragon within her. The events that took place after the fire led to a long and complicated story that belied a seemingly insignificant origin.

"You're positive?" Zia asked anxiously. "Absolutely certain?"

Arch chuckled lightly. "Yes, I am. Have I ever led you astray?" Arch turned to address Borton. "Will you tell the perimeter guards that the cause for alarm is over? In fact, give them the morning off. They've been up on high alert all night and they're bound to be exhausted.  I'm sure nothing earth-shattering will happen in until then."

Borton looked unsure. "Is it wise to leave the camp unguarded?"

"Don't worry," Arch assured him. "I'll take a one-man patrol in the meantime."

Borton nodded and went off to inform the lookouts of their hard-earned break.

"I should go with you," Zia decided. "Accident or not, Ike was still shot, and I don't think you should about on your own."

Arch smiled warmly. "I'd be most glad of your company. Though, I don't believe that whoever targeted Ike is still a threat."

"You don't?"

Arch shook his head. "It is likely the offender was an opportunist. The fire provided the perfect cover to make it appear as though we were being attacked."

"Regardless, I'm coming with you. One man patrolling in the forest on his own? Any 'opportunists' would be stupid to not leap at the..."

"Opportunity?" Arch grinned. "You make a good point, Zia. Very well. Shall we?"

So they set off, walking towards the edge of Keeper Headquarters. Headquarters was very well hidden, the only entrance from the nearest village- the village where Zia had lived before Arch had taken her away- being a small crevice between a wall of rocks in the middle of the woods. It was nearly impossible to see from the outside unless you knew to look for it for the shadows the sun cast over it. The gap was wide enough to allow horses and wagons through, but thin enough that it was easily defendable. The entrance hid a secret valley, previously nicknamed Thieves' Valley. Of course, when the Thieves of Otar had become the Keepers of Otar, the name had changed to Keepers' Valley. The hidden Eden was surrounded by thick forest and impossible-to-scale rocks. Some of the old-timers would sometimes play pranks on the new recruits by telling them climbing the boulders was part of the initiation, resulting in many young men with broken arms that had to be painfully reset by Cook, who was none too gentle with living meat. 

The valley itself was a hidden slice of the forest that its occupants nicknamed. Tall evergreen pines stood proud and tall, dropping needles year round, giving contrast to the bright yellow that would creep into the aspens in the autumn. But now was spring, and the naked aspens were starting to grow new buds for the season. The wind was still cold sweeping down the valley, but it felt fresh and clean. Zia breathed deeply, enjoying the sensation before she followed Arch through the crevice in the rocks to the forest beyond.

Arch and Zia walked in companionable silence for a few minutes, silently make their rounds of the forest surrounding the Keepers' Headquarters.

"I'm sorry, by the way," Arch said. "I know you never particularly enjoy your anniversary, but this year seemed to have been a spectacular fail."

"It was... interesting to say the least," Zia admitted. "It certainly had a dramatic flare." She gave a nervous laugh at her own joke. "Really, Arch, it wasn't that bad. I actually enjoyed it more than I expected to. Well, until... you know."

Arch chuckled. "Yes, I do. I'm glad the unfortunate ending of the celebration does not speak for the whole experience in your mind."

"There is one thing about yesterday that's been bothering me. Besides the fire," Zia added quickly. "At the feast, I saw Fraya and Borton whispering about something. Heath heard them say Daxtor's name. Do you know what they were discussing?"

"Heath should not be eavesdropping on a private conversation," Arch said disapprovingly.

"You're avoiding the question. Do you know?" 

Arch sighed. "Yes. Yes, I know what they were talking about."

"Why didn't they tell me?" Zia asked. "If it concerns Daxtor I have a right to know. We all know he'll be coming back for me. Daxtor isn't exactly the kind of man to cut his losses and change his ways."

"Yes, I know," Arch said quietly. "Better than most." His eyes had a haunted look to them, and Zia wondered if he was thinking of that night nearly nineteen years ago when he had found Zia choking and coughing on the floor of his house after Daxtor's attempt to kill her had gone awry. 

"So, why didn't they tell me?" she pressed.

Arch sighed. It was a long and deep sigh, as though all the air were leaking from his lungs. "They didn't want to worry you."

"But them keeping secrets from me worries me even more than anything they could tell me about Daxtor," Zia said. "Why didn't you tell me? If you knew, why didn't you tell me?"

Arch smiled sadly. "They're your family, Zia, your real family, and they just want to protect you. I must respect their wishes concerning you."

"No you don't," Zia said hotly. "I may have been born into their family, but you're the one who raised me. You're just as much my family as either of them. You're my father, too. You know me, they don't. You know what's best for me better than they do."

Tears were swimming in Arch's eyes. He was smiling. He opened his mouth to speak several times, but each attempt ended in him closing his mouth again. When he finally found his voice is was low and choked with emotion. "I can't express to you what that means to me, Zia." He wiped his eyes dry and cleared his throat. "If you trully wish to know what Borton and the Queen were talking about, there have been rumors, whispers, really, that-"

Arch froze, his eyes suddenly sharp and his stance battle-ready. "Did you hear that?"

Zia listened carefully. At first she didn't hear anything, but then she heard the slight rustling of leaves. It was coming from a few hundred yards away, where there was pleanty of underbrush and foliage to obstruct her view of the forest.

Arch dropped his voice. "I'll take the front, you sneak around back. It may just be a deer or some other wild animal, but I'm not taking any chances."

Zia nodded and wordlessly they began to approach the rustling bushes on silent feet.

What could it be? Zia wondered as she drew her sword slowly, careful to not let the blade scrape against the sheath. Beside her she heard Arch doing the same.

About fifty yards from their target, Arch signaled to her to start flanking. Zia nodded and strayed to the right. She had not made it ten paces when she suddenly heard a yelp of pain and turned just in time to see Arch drop to the forest floor. Standing above him, holding a long, steal knife layered in bright red blood in his hand and a terrifyingly giddy look in his manic eye was a man straight out of Zia's nightmares.

Daxtor.