Chapter Two

When we got to the lounge I was immediately hit with a wave of air conditioning. It felt so nice, considering the left over August heat outside would melt ice cream in seconds. “You’ll love my friends,” Ariel giggled. “They’re the greatest people I’ve ever met.”

            I just smiled and nodded and looked around the lounge. It was awesome! There was a big screen TV with an off white L-shaped couch and a couple of matching beanbags around it. A mahogany coffee table sat in the middle with a remote, a couple of magazines, a big candle, and a book on it.

In one of the corners there were high circle tables made out of mahogany wood – there was a huge amount of mahogany around here – and matching chairs. A couple of people were there with soda and talking about what sounded like their summer vacations. There was a pool table close to a sliding glass door that led to the courtyard.

The floor was made of soft light grey carpeting and the walls were painted with what looked like student work. It must have been a project years ago because I remembered those from pictures of Sage his first year. As we passed a very colorful butterfly chairs I asked Ariel, “Where are your friends?”

“Right over there!” There was a group sitting on a couch and the floor and were waving her over. She grabbed my arm and started pulling me towards the group. I was shy, so meeting people was hard for me and Ariel forcibly dragging me over was not helping much.

“Hey Ariel!” one of the boys said. He was a Salamander with blood red eyes and copper red hair paired a long, wiry body. His nose was large and his eyes were puffy looking, like he’d been crying or possibly doing drugs. His chin was rounded and he had a long neck. The copper hair, which is the tell tale sign of a Salamander, a Fire Elemental, was a mess on his head and covered his eyebrows, if he had any.

There was a Spirit boy there too. He had the common light brown hair with white highlights and white eyes mix that almost all Spirit Elementals had. But what wasn’t text book about him was his size. Spirit Elementals normally were very small in stature, but this boy was tall and broad, like he worked out a lot. He had a strong jaw and nose and his eyes were almond shaped. He was the definitely the hottest boy in the group.

But the last boy caught my eye as well. He was a Death Elemental, the most deadly of all Elements. His copper blonde hair was swept to the side and his black eyes shined with laughter at something the Salamander boy said. His lips were thin and his teeth were bright white. He had a straight nose between two narrow eyes. Like most Death Elementals he was almost anorexic thin and average height for a teenage boy.

“Who’s this?” the Chaos girl in the group asked. She had curly ash brown hair to her shoulders and bright almond shaped purple eyes. Chaos Elementals were built like Undines, tall and curvy. She had the sweetest smile with little dimples and a small nose. Her hair was in low pigtails and she almost looked like a little girl.

There was one other person in the group, another girl. She was also a Death Elemental and was dressed all in black. Her copper blonde hair was in a loose side braid and seemed to almost reach her waist. She was sitting on the Salamander’s lap and she looked…content. The boy was stroking her back and she had her eyes closed as if she were sleeping.

Ariel put her hands on my shoulders and pulled me forward. “This is Sora Thompson, my new roommate.”

The Chaos girl threw her hand out to shake mine and smiled. “Hi! I’m Elegy Bailey.” She waved her hand at Death Girl and Salamander Guy before saying, “This is Everett Banks and his girlfriend Harper Donnelly.” Her hand moved to Death Boy and he gave me a tiny grin. “This is Jasper Donnelly, Harper’s twin brother.” She pointed to the last guy, Spirit Boy. “And this is my cousin Heath Jones.”