Three

I blink. Jenesis can’t be serious. It hasn’t been an year since our first rebellion, which failed miserably, as she said. I’m not sure if Jenesis is trying to use the element of surprise to overthrow the government, but she has never made such a rash decision. What about the hundred thousands of insurgents she has no control over, if Valarie is right about the large number of rebels?

   Zoey’s features form an expression of complete and utter disbelief. Caroline trembles. Others have the same dumbfounded look as no one dares to speak. I rack my brain for an explanation as to why Jenesis is risking possibly everything for a most likely rushed and flawed strategy. It takes over a few minutes for people to comprehend Jenesis’ statement.

   “Why?” I turn my head towards Caroline as she asks the question everyone in the room is dying to say out loud. Caroline, however, is the only one with enough courage to actually say the words. “You have to be kidding, right?" 

   I am surprised by her bravery, the anger and disappointment in her voice, and the way she lashes out at Jenesis. The old Caroline was daring and feisty, but always obeyed Jenesis without a second thought. Something must have occurred during my absence.

   “Caroline,” Elliot warns her. “Don’t.”

   “I don’t understand why you keep doing this to everyone.” Caroline ignores Elliot, her eyes narrowed. “A majority of us are still mourning the death of our families and friends.” She grits her teeth. “We might have the same goal, but we are still normal people who need rest and time from trauma, and you seem to disregard that fact.”

   Silence answers before Jenesis responds calmly, her eyebrows raised. “Thank you for your input and opinion, but I would prefer that you would stop -”

   “People died trying to make the rebellion work. Nicole died saving you.” Caroline pauses, her voice shaking. “Yet, you’re willing to sacrifice more people, when it hasn’t even been an year since the last uprising.”

   “Now is the time, insurgents.” Jenesis addresses all of us, blatantly ignoring Caroline. “I am aware that some of you encountered a soldier today.” I can see her plan. She’s trying to use Caroline’s words to convince us to work with her. She is smart enough to persuade most people that Caroline is being unrealistic and absurd. “The government is closing in on us. If we want to achieve our goal, we have no choice but to start the second rebellion now.”

    “What about the weapons?” Xavier raises his eyebrows, snorting. “About the unregistered people?”

   Unregistered people? What does he mean?

   “You’re not tricking any of us into thinking that this is a brilliant plan,” Zoey says. “It’s quite the opposite.”

   Elliot hushes all of them, his lips set in a firm line. “Let’s listen to Jenesis before we make assumptions and insult her.”

   My former friends are now different people - insurgents who are not afraid to point out the flaws in the strategies and mock the leader. I should have expected it. It’s been months since I’ve seen them. Surely they’ve been through more difficulties. Valarie shifts beside me. Elliot seems to be the only one who hasn’t changed much. I clench my teeth. If Aline were here, I would imitate what she would be doing. But she isn’t here.

   I gulp before saying, “I agree with them.”

   Jenesis’ eyes meet mine, her gaze challenging. She looks slightly surprised. And she has every right to be. Aline would have agreed on a second rebellion without another thought. She was too daring, jumping at every chance to take the government down and rebuild our society. “I know that the authorities are coming close to catching us,” I add, “but I still don’t think that we should start a second rebellion yet. It’s too -”