Foreword

WARNING! If you do not like forewords, feel free to skip this section. This is not meant to deter readers.

Hello, and welcome. I don't know what brought you here, traveler, but I'm glad you came.

You are about to witness the beginning of a journey. Part of the journey belongs to Greywyn, my first main character, who I will introduce in the first chapter, and to the characters you see in the Prologue, whose names I will not yet disclose. The other part belongs to me, for this story commences my journey as a fantasy writer, and as a writer in general.

How will you feel as you read the first words, the first sentences, the first paragraphs? Intrigued? Mystified? Bored?

You may read the first words and think "I've seen writers like this a million times. It sounds trite, melodramatic, and unoriginal. It's not worth reading.After that prejudgement, you may scan the page, decide it's not good enough, and not up to your standards, and pass it by.

Feel free to do that. Maybe I have an exaggerated confidence in my writing, and I don't truly deserve your valuable attention and time. I understand. And yet...

I'll admit that I'm already guilty of this very deed, of skipping over other writers' work.  And so I've resolved now to give every story a shot -- I've set the intentionally unreachable goal of reading everything here on Wattpad, and giving everyone a chance. I'll attempt to comment as often as time allows, whether it's positive feedback, constructive feedback, or both. Why?

Because I want you, reader, to give me a chance. I will NOT pass your stories by. Please don't pass mine.

Think of this as a play or musical, or some performance involving your best friends, that you're determined to enjoy. Will you be moved to tears? Will you experience the same as the characters -- the fears, the joys, the sorrows? Will you see things from their perspective, or ignore them?

The choice is yours. I request that you please attempt to immerse yourself in the beginning of this story, and put yourself in the scene.

This opening section should feel cinematic. I highly recommend listening to the first minute of the song "Fate of the Gods" under multimedia before or as you read this prologue, and try to picture the scene in your head. I wrote this with no plan for a future story. I simply wanted to express on paper the images I imagined in my head as I listened to the music.

All feedback is welcome. I love compliments, but I love constructive criticism even better. If ANYTHING at all about this section bothers you, please speak your mind. If you think I should delete all of this and start over, because it is not at all what you envisioned when you listened to the song, tell me what you envisioned, and I'll seriously consider it. Although it pains me to suggest this, and I may regret it later, I'm willing to write an alternative version dedicated to anyone who disagrees with my version. The wonderful thing about music is that it tells a different story to everyone.

If you're still reading this long ramble/foreword, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Please make yourself comfortable; hang up your coat, take off your boots, relax by the fireplace (if possible), take deeeeep breath, and leave your worries outside, on the doorstep. Outside, the thunderstorm rages, the house moans, and the rain lashes the windows, but they cannot reach this safe haven, this escape, this shelter that lies between the crackled old pages of a good book.

The road goes ever on and on. Let us begin our journey now, in the dark.