The Boy Who Fell From the Sky

The fact that he was falling did not concern him. It was the strange sensation that was overcoming him that did. It was feeling he had never felt before, so different from anger and happiness. He felt like his soul was being put to rest, eased of burden. The sky before him moved farther and farther away until the stars were mere twinkles in the sky, until the moon was nothing more than a rip in the blanket of night, until it seemed as if the Earth were swallowing him.

The impossibility of this did not even enter his mind. He was too focused on this new sensation, this new feeling. He was in love with it, but as he continued downwards the feeling was fading. until it was nothing more than  a memory.  It was only at that moment did he reach out, as if to hold on to something. But he only found air whistling through his fingers. He was aware he was falling very fast, so fast he felt as if he were on fire. The flames ate at his sides and he felt feverish, but his skin seemed impenetrable,  keeping himself from burning.

Thunder resounded in his ears as he hit the ground. And then he saw only black.

                                                            ☪ ☪ ☪ ☪ ☪ ☪ ☪ ☪ ☪ ☪

His head was throbbing when he came to. It was as if lightning had struck him at the top of his head. His whole body ached, even a twitch sent a shock of pain coursing through his limbs. He was accustomed to a certain degree of pain, but this was something entirely new. With a pained gasp, he attempted to survey his surroundings. All he saw was the open sky before him, and a girl.

Her features were clouded by the darkness, but he could make out fair skin and short, blue- black hair that seemed to blend seamlessly with the night. He stilled as she knelt before him, her lower lip trembling. Two black holes studied him, her face contorted into an expression that he couldn’t read, neither fear, anger nor pleasure. 

“Are you alright?” Her voice was soft and trembling.

“You fell from the sky.”

“Yes.” It wasn’t so much the falling he remembered, but the absence of burden and the feeling of oneness. He remembered speculating the feeling, but the way he felt at that moment eluded him. It had been the only thing on his mind on the way down, and only now did he begin to wonder where he was. All he knew was that he was on an open field with a stranger. And his body hurt.

He wondered vaguely if he should say anything else, but the woman had turned away from him as another stranger approached.  Silver hair and pale skin, she looked like a ghost.

Ghost steps approached him. The girl stopped just a few inches from him., knelt down beside the other girl, whispering something he couldn’t hear. He didn’t know how to feel, not about the strangers, not about the empty skies. The only thing he could focus on was the pain.

With a pained effort, he brought his head up to catch the two girls beside him now.

“We’re going to take you home — that okay with you?” The raven haired one told him.

But she didn’t wait for an answer, she already had an arm looped around the back of his neck, and the other girl did the same. They hauled him to his feet and he staggered forward. Pain shot up his calves and traveled up the length of his spin. The pain of it nearly rendered him immobile, but the two girls were dragging him away towards the woods.  He could just barely see where he was going. The thickly packed forest hid the moon from view, curtains against the remaining light. Although he couldn’t see what was going on, something told him the women had experience traveling through these woods. He wasn’t walking so much as being dragged, but even so the journey through the woods was painfully slow — more so on his part.

They finally stopped, where the trees had thinned down to reveal a small space of grass and solid ground. A small house stood at the center, three trees protecting it like a triangle. A narrow beam of light was projected through a small window.

“It’s not much, but it’s home,” one of the women told him. He still couldn’t distinguish whose voice belonged to who — the dark haired one, or the silver haired one. He was pulled forward and the dark haired one leaned towards the door, knocked once.

“It’s us, Ma. Kiko and Vera!”

She took a step back, and after a moment of silence, the door flew open, revealing a small, sturdy woman with craggy cheeks and harsh lines. He felt her eyes travel towards him, and she opened her mouth, asked him a question. But he couldn’t hear her anymore. Could barely even focus on her anymore. Darkness was closing around him and the pain was terrible. Everything around him had become muted, except for the faintest whisper of the wind.

The older woman reached forward then, as if to grab him, but everything had already faded to black. 

A/N: Let me know what you think! It would be awesome to get some feedback. Also, the cover (although slightly edited) was made by [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/voider17/6514119097/in/photostream]Voider Sun[/url]