HOUR 4

HOUR 4

The room was chaotic. People running all over the place, shouting over each other. But Mrs. Smith stood calmly whilst pieces of papers were being shoved under her nose and things that made no sense to me were being yelled at her. She calmly took control of the chaos with her soothing yet authoritative voice.

"Johnson? Oh, thank God! There you are." She said relieved.

"Yes, ma'am. Will someone please tell me what's going on?" I said, obviously fed up.

"You might want to sit down, Michael." She said softly.

I didn't move. Okay, this is not good. She used my first name. With my experience, when the person in charge of you uses your first name. I braced myself but it was not enough for the blow.

"There's a hostage situation."

"What's that got to do with me?" I instantly regretted saying this as it was clear now.

"They have your family, Michael. I'm so sorry."

I sank into the chair, shaking.

"Michael, breathe."

I just realised that I'd been holding my breath ever since she told me and my fists were clenched and my knuckles were white. I immediately unclenched my fists, took a few breaths and massaged my knuckles to get the blood flowing. I got up and calmly yet briskly walked out.