Chapter 3: The Gospel Truth

I slowly stood up and peeked out from inside the trash can. Suddenly, I lost my balance and toppled over. I flew out the can and landed on my back. I took of a banana peel from my head and shook off other debris. I stood up and brushed off any remaining soot. I walked to the street, staying in the shadows, and peeked around the corner. The streets were empty. A city clock read 9:30, two and a half hours until midnight. Edenclash..... His name was Grimoire Edenclash. He saved me once, but can I still trust his words? I don't know.

In this era, it probably wasn't smart to trust the king's men. But, it was also an era of risks. And after the fire as a child, witnessing Meph's death, another risk wasn't going to scare me. If I truly am the rightful Fire King, then I should be ready for a risk like this.

Time passed gradually as the midnight curfew bells rang from the church citadel near the castle. Barren streets lit by only moonlight led me towards the East Gate. To my surprise, there were no guards. Not even a troubled spirit would disturb this emptiness. However, what was it not to say they did not await me among the foliage outside the city.

I peered around the metal gates, watching as the great trees of Graymere Woods stood tall mocking me. Carefully, I walked into the dense forest moving like a mouse and nary making a sound. I kept close to the road's edge yet hugged the trees hoping no one hostile was out for blood. Many minutes, perhaps even an hour, passed in soft winds and the occasional owl's hoots followed by pecks and fluttering waves made by great wings.

Suddenly, a twig snapped. I froze, foot floating in place. I shifted my body weight knowing that someone was tracking me. I slowly stepped forward and walked down the path. When it seemed as if the town was barely in sight, I broke into a steadfast run off road into the forest. Almost immediately, a pair of rapid steps blinded after me and I veered off the path weaving through protruding roots and uneven ground. Fatigue lashed my body as I fell to the ground gasping and shaking from the adrenaline. I closed my eyes and groaned as I was suddenly slammed into a tree trunk, it's grainy bark digging into my skin.

Before I could speak, however, a blade was placed under my chin nearly nicking my neck.

I came face to face with a girl who seemed to be 5'7" at least and had fair skin, a seemingly medium tone that was overshadowed by the branches. She wasn't thin nor was she bulky. Her body was round yet firm. She wore a cloak covering her face but wavy milk chocolate hair burled along the sides of her head.

"Are you Daryl?" she asked, her voice soft and sharp like the hiss of a snake. There was a playfulness to her tone, but she was all serious in the same front.

"I-I am," I stammered. Air filtered into my lungs as she pulled the knife away and allowed me room to catch my bearings. As I looked back up to see she had stepped out from under the tree. Although the night was dim, it was clear her pine jade eyes were weary even as I spoke. However, I grew petrified as my gaze landed on a belt adorned with a variety of weapons, some crystal clean and others smeared with dry wine red blood.

"It's good that you have arrived. Grimoire told us we would be expecting you," she said. "My name is Skylar. I'm a member of the Rebels: Hunter Branch. It is reassuring that you are alive despite your odd situation within the castle these past years. However, small talk and come later. I apologize for alarming you in any way. We need to hurry to the others and rejoin the caravan before they clean up camp and leave without us. Can you still walk?" I nodded in response and Skylar threw an extra cloak my way. Without another thought, she began to walk deeper into the woods. I went after her and tried to keep up with her quick pace.