Prologue

Helen Miller stared at the baby in her arms. The baby had strawberry blond hair, pale green eyes, and milky, translucent skin. Helen was overjoyed she finally had a child, after two miscarriages. She realized she would have to raise this baby alone because she and her husband had a divorce about a year ago. The baby's actual father wouldn't be any help either, because the father was Eros, the god of love.

Helen shuddered at the thought of her baby being half goddess. She tried to push away all thoughts of how that eventful night happened. No such luck, the images kept racing through her mind. She could still remember how breathtakingly handsome Eros looked, and how he smelled like roses, peppermint, and cologne. It wasn't love at first sight, not even love at all, but instead it was lust that led to that night.

Suddenly someone knocked on the door, stopping Helen's train of thought. Assuming it was the nurse, she told the person to come in. When she turned her head towards the door, a frown instantly appeared on her face. It was not a nurse who stood in the doorway, it was Eros.

“Why are you here?” she asked.

“To come see my child,” he replied calmly, as if it were obvious.

“Stay away from her!” Helen shouted, venom seeping into her voice.

“So it's a girl? What shall we name her?” he asked.

“Yes. And you won't come near her, you understand? She's not yours, I'm raising her. Alone.” she explained.

“I'm her biological father, so she has to be mine. So, I shall help you raise her,” he simply said.

“Leave!” she yelled.

“But-” he started.

“Just leave!” she screamed again.

Then in a flash he was gone, he disappeared into thin air. Helen let out a sigh of relief. She stared at her daughter's face once again.

“I promise I'll give you a normal life. I'll always protect you.” she whispered.