Chapter III

When people say they are dreaming, it usually means that something horrific or something so wonderful is happening to them they can't believe it. That they pinch themselves to wake up or they end up forcing themself to, which at this point was exactly what I was doing.

Making my eyes open and being blinded by the bright bulb in my face, made me feel dizzy. I could feel myself mustering the strength to pull myself into a sitting position, but my brain would not send the signals to the rest of my body. So laying there was the only thing I could do.

I cock my head around a little bit, and notice I'm in Dr. Pastel's healing room. Noticing the little cartoon pictures he hangs up for the little children, I make a quick note that I had just endured surgery or I was dreaming, and that this was the second time I had been in this room. Meaning the first time was when my Aunt got prescribed those horrific pills she takes now, and I had to drive her here since she was not capable herself.

"She will be fine, she just needs to rest. She was whacked pretty good againt the right temple. I'm going to guess it was a rock or something of that sort, but she will be fine."

I turn my head to see Dr. Pastel talking to my aunt, I guess no one noticed that the door was ajar, and I strained my ear to listen.

"Thank you so much Doctor. I was so worried when she didn't come home and then Gale came to the house and informed us of what happened. I don't understand why someone would do this, accident or not. People should be more careful." she said. As I see her shake her head and sob.

Dr. Pastel pats her back. "She should rest here tonight, and you can take her home tomorrow. I will give her some antibiotics so her stitches don't gather infection and some pain medication as well. She should not strain herself for the next couple of weeks. But you can go in and see her now." he says as he points to me.

I close my eyes and pretend to sleep, not that I'm afraid for someone to find me awake but I couldn't sit here and see my aunt cry. I hear her shut the door behind her and shuffle towards me, grabbing my hand, I could feel how soft hers were. Feeling her grip I felt something strange, as if she was trying to break it.

"Now listen to me you little shit." she says. "I don't care how much pain you are in or what happened. I will not have sympathy for someone who did this to herself. Obviously you did something to displease God or he wouldn't have done this to you." She let's go of my hand and I can feel her circling around the table.

"You think you are better than me? You think you deserve the best don't you? Having everyone in this town symphatize over you makes me sick. Where's my sympathy? Where was that for me when your mother died, when I took you in and gave you someplace to go. I could have thrown you away but I didn't. And all you do is cause me hell. Never listening, or doing your chores right. Where is my fucking sympathy?" I can feel her face breathing on mine, as if she's examining me.

My heart starts to beat to fast, and for one second my hand twitches and I can feel her jump. As if she got electrocuted, and then I can feel her eyes on me. Looking to see if I was awake, touching my hand, putting her finger under my nose to make sure I wasn't breathing to hard.

"I'll see you when you wake up sweet Alice. I have something special for you at home." And with those last words I can hear her walk out and close the door behind her.

----------

Being frightened was not the word for the emotions that spilled over me. My own aunt hated me, like a human would hate a cockroach. I could see why my mother tried so hard to get along with her, since my aunt was so full of hate. Maybe she hated me so much, cause I reminded her of my mother and she despised how beautiful, charming and kind my mother was. So the one emotion that did kick in was sympathy.