Chapter 2 .Adopted? No way??

Miss Sinclair pulled them into her office.

“ Well, girls, before we start, I will tell you a bit about your parents.”

the girls looked at each other in surprise.

“But, You've always refused to tell us even when we begged and begged.” Lucy, or Lulu as she was better known by said.

“ Yes, yes, I know. I have also CHANGED MY MIND!” She shouted. The girls shrank back in their chairs. Miss Sinclair was known to lose her temper and make poor, unfortunate girls spend the night outside in the freezing cold. It had happened to Ada, and they had tossed blankets and food down, but she was still blue the next morning.

So the girls were being very careful. They didn't want some kind of terrible punishment like that. They smiled and apologised.

“ Of course, of course.” was what Becky said.

“Sorry, sorry.” Phoebe said quickly.

“Ah, right.” Lulu murmured.

Miss Sinclair sighed and muttered something about being surrounded by nim wits. The kids looked at each other, trying not to smile, because they knew that this was completely untrue. The orphans were a million times more intelligent than Miss Sinclair. But now was not a good time to point it out. Miss Sinclair adopted a strange half sad half smug look on her face.

“ Well kids, I have some news for you all. Phoebe I will start by telling you about your parents. Your file says that you have no siblings but that your mother died pregnant, diagnosed with twins. Your house burned down, but you were napping and the fire reached you last. By that time, help had arrived. I have only one belonging for you. It appears that is a letter that arrived a year later. It was found by an over-inquisitive neighbour. Here it is:

Phoebe,

We are writing to inform you that we will be enrolling you in a Boarding school when we come back from our holiday. You will be happy and we will miss you. We have already chosen your uniform and packed your bags. Please do not be sad.

I think that your education will be better over there.

I love you and papa sends his love too.

Your mother,

Margaret.

Pheobe stared at the letter in astonishment, fingering the thin paper. Two fat tears welled up in her eyes and splashed onto the paper.

“ It's alright Phee, It's all fine now.” Her two new-found friends comforted her.

“ Shush all of you! I was TRYING to speak. Now dry those silly tears, and pull yourself together young lady. Your parents died 11 years ago. I expect you all to be very lady-like for this, otherwise you will not be seeing your parents files.”

The three girls hurriedly redressed themselves.

“Hmm.. which one of you grotesque cockroaches should I talk about next?” Miss Sinclair said, obviously trying to be mean after realising that her worst nightmare was realising itself. Happy Girls. Happy Girls were not tolerated in this orphanage. At least Happy Girls were not tolerated when they were happy in front of Miss Sinclair.

“ I will go with... Lucy Oakes. Alright. Your story is extremely mysterious. I have never wanted to tell you for fear that you would try to find your parents. You must promise not to do this. Yes? “

“ Y-Yes, I-I promise Miss Si-sinclair” Lulu stuttered nervously.

“ Alright. So, your parents were named Judith and Clinton Oakes. They were never very social apparently, so nobody really knew them, apart from the fact that they lived in a big green house and that Clinton owned a Sewerage factory and therefore was very rich. He did not leave you any money, however. All I can tell you is that you were found on my doorstep by me. You had a not tucked in next to you and it enclosed some money and it held a not for you that I have not read. Here it is: