Chapter 29

****

Cold fingers brushed the hair away from my forehead.

I blinked open my eyes to see Ms Hanaway and my mother sat on my bed. I slowly sat up and stared at them both, the frown on my face grew deeper.

"How are you feeling?" Ms Hanaway asked.

I didn't respond.

She let out a small sigh and stared intently at the pattern on the bed sheets, brushing over them with her slim, lifeless fingers.

"Harvey told us what happened. He's refusing to go until we're aware and we can look after you-"

"I don't need you to look after me, I'm fine."

 She said nothing. Harvey stood by the door.

"I'm sorry, Ally. I'm sorry it took me so long to realize I was hurting you in the process. I just had a good screaming match with Harvey, he was right. I blamed you for her death, when in reality I should have been comforting you. Yes she was my daughter, but she was your best friend. You were practically sisters, and I haven't been a very good...practical mother to you. I forgot that you were hurting and focused on my own pain and misery. For that I'm sorry." 

I said nothing for a long while. I felt the gaze of my mother burn into the side of my face.

"I want to move out." I abruptly burst out.

"What?" She asked.

"I want to go somewhere. I don't care where. I just need to get away from this place."

"Ally, I seriously don't think you're ready for that. Do you not want to work on being a family again? Making up for lost time?" My mother asked, creeping forwards.

She slowly sat down on the bed and I stared at her with a lack of expression.

"No. I want to work on myself. You had years to make up for lost time yet you chose not to. I doubt you'd even be speaking to me if this didn't happen. I want to get away from here. I'm legal so you can't stop me."

She pressed her lips together. Harvey stepped forwards.

"A few friends and I are going to California next week, we're going to be travelling a lot. I'd be more than happy to take Ally. And if Jase or Max want to come I'll take them as well."

"I want to go by myself."

"You can't be trusted by yourself, clearly." He argued.

"Well too bad, I'm going." I snapped.

"If you don't come with me, you're staying here. You may be legal but you're unstable. I can easily call A&E and tell them what you've just tried to do. Then you'll be forced under your parents care and you'll have to see a counsellor. I'm making this easier on you. You won't be in the same place for longer than three weeks before we move out again."

My mother left the room. Ms Hanaway held my hand tightly.

"You should go." She said quietly.

I didn't know how to respond. She stood up and left quietly. I glared at Harvey as he invited himself into my room and leaned against the door.

"Why are you doing this?" I spat.

"Because I'm worried about you."

I scoffed.

"No you're not. You're overwhelmed with guilt because neither you nor me could save her. You don't want twice the amount of guilt to be placed on you if you find out I'm dead."