Chapter 1

Julie was worried, the cookout started in an hour. David was outside, getting cooked hot dogs off of the grill, making sure they were perfect so they would impress his boss. As if he would be examining the hotdog and not the other women in tight dresses, trying to look good for their husbands but really trying to catch the eye of another wealthy man on the block. Just to make sure their options were open, they would be wearing their makeup perfectly, exactly no flaws. They were star wives; they had all the money and only about five of them actually had children. The rate of divorces around their area was very high, as all of the families around there were wealthy. 

She picked up her makeup pad and dabbed it gently over the blue and purple bruise, but it still hurt. Why did it still hurt? It'd been five days since he even laid a hand on her. She was thankful that it wasn't last night that she made him mad, it would've still been bleeding. But the fact that she was most certain about was that she wasn't going to put up a red flag that her husband beat her. She was going to hide it like a pro would, as if there was a pro in the category, 'my husband beats me'. 

"Julie, bring your ass down here and fix the salad! They're gonna be showing up in about thirty minutes!" He and Julie both knew that everyone around Buffalo Grove, Illinios, was fashionably late. 

"Did you fucking here me, Julie? I said get down here and make the damn salad!" He was practically screaming at this point. She was hoping the vein in his forehead wouldn't pop out of anger.

"I'm coming. I'm trying to make myself look good for you." She started to hurry as she grabbed her brown pencil eyeliner and made the marks under and over her luscious eyelashes.

"For me? That's the funniest thing I've heard since I woke up this morning. I know you try to get attention from the other lawyers around here, don't try to fool me. But guess what, honey? You're not going fucking anywhere! You're gonna stay here with me, whether or not I have to beat it into your head." Julie was still afraid of her husband, but this isn't the first, tenth, or twentieth time he's threatened to hurt her. He always does. 

But of course David was a lawyer, he was the world's best liar. He could look her straight in the eye and say, "I've never hit you before." 

"I'm sorry you think that about me", she yelled down at him. "I try to look good for you, though. You do want me to make a good impression on your boss though, right? I don't want him thinking you have an ugly wife. I want to look my best." 

"Shut up. I'm sick of your voice already and it's only two o'clock." Julie shrugged and huffed a little. She turned the curling iron off and ran her fingers through her golden hair. Every day while getting ready, she tried to picture herself in the bathroom of a normal house. Where a normal husband takes a shower and gets ready. She just liked to imagine that her family was perfect, just like she did when she was a kid. 

Even though only about five of the women in the wealthy city had kids and all the others didn't want any, Juliana did. She wanted three. Three smart, beautiful angels she could call hers. 

Julie walked into her bedroom and took off her pink, silk robe. She picked up the light brown dress that was laying on her bed and slipped it over her strapless bra and panties that matched. She then sat on her Egyptian cotton quilt and prayed to God that this cookout would blow over smoothly.