Chapter 1 - to the Head City

***

Aurora and Moonshade began their journey together to the Head City. Enjoy.

***

Chapter 1 – to the Head City

They left early in the morning, only Madame was there to see them off. She put pieces of bread and some fruits into their bags and hugged them as tight as she could. Aurora hated seeing her cry, so she assured Madame that this was not the last they saw each other. Time was going to prove her wrong..

** ** ** ** **

They walked for hours before Moonshade finally asked for a break from the sun at the top of the sky. Since Aurora was also feeling very hot and sweaty, she seconded that idea and they found a big tree on the side of the road which they could relax under its shadow. They had not talked much since the morning because they were both thinking about how their lives would change in the Head city and also because their mouths were too dry to talk.

"You've been awfully quiet." said Aurora to Moonshade, who was enjoying the cool feeling of grass on his skin. "Not that I'm complaining, but are you gonna sulk all the way to the city?"

Moonshade lifted his face from the grass to look at Aurora's face. "Who's sulkin'? I'm just not lovin' the friggin boilin' hot, that's all." he continued as he took off his sandals and rub his feet. "I say we buy a donkey or somethin' with the silver Madame gave us, cos' the road is looking too damn long already."

"Don't be daft, we cannot spend so much money on an animal that won't go faster than our walking speed."

"Look at these!" said he pointing his feet, he brought them forward for Aurora to see clearly. "I've got blisters all over my feet in just half a day! Damn those sandals."

"You move them away from my face, or I'm gonna do you some physical damage."

Slowly Moonshade put his feet on the grass and said "I'm the older one here, aren't I? People won't believe that you're my little sister if you go on like this, just sayin'."

"Faking sister and brother with you is such a degrading feeling." she said, smiling, "Maybe we should just tell the truth about us not being related at all, emphasizing the 'at all'."

"You know what I'm thinking," said Moonshade, "maybe I should use some physical strength on you, go all big brother on you to make it more convincing."

Aurora laughed so hard that it took some time before she caught her breath again, and when she did she said, smiling:

"That wouldn't be convincing at all, so you forgive this little sister of yours and I'll think about buying an animal."

In the afternoon they started walking again and the sun was long set when they finally found a place to spend the night. The owner of the inn gave them the absolute opposite of a warming welcome. One glimpse to the young travelers and he immediately picked up that they did not have a lot of money or experience on the road, so he asked for the money for one night in advance. After paying they went to their room which was upstairs from the dining and reception saloon.

"This is worse than the old man's bedroom." said Moonshade. "Did we just really pay three pieces of silver for this? I'm gonna give him a piece of my mind."

Aurora stopped him, "We shouldn't cause a commotion. We'll get our money's worth in the morning. Let's just go to sleep."

"I can't sleep in a friggin smelly room like this!" and Moonshade was out like a dead man five minutes later.

While her companion slept soundly, Aurora went downstairs and found the inn owner.

"Perhaps you can spare me a bowl of hot soup after we paid so much on that room."

The man was annoyed but he did give her a warm vegetable soup that had mostly potatoes in it.

"You should eat it and go upstairs girl, it's not right for you to eat here alone at this time of the night."

"Oh, of course, you are most certainly right." said Aurora and kept drinking her soup. "Is the horse tied outside for sale?"

"What?" he was not paying attention to her. He was counting the silvers in his pocket.

"Never mind." said Aurora, "Thank you for the soup, goodnight." and she went upstairs.

The next morning Aurora woke Moonshade up before sunrise.

"What the--?" said the most annoyed Moonshade. "Why are you waking me up so early?!"

"First, lower your voice and second we're taking the horse tied outside with us as we leave."

"Is this getting our money's worth, stealing his horse? So much for not causing any commotion."

"We're not stealing her, we're saving her from this miserable life."

Moonshade stared at her serious face and blinked a few times to make sure he was not dreaming.

"I'm just gonna pretend not to hear that and go back to sleep."

"Don't be stupid. I'm serious, it's obvious that he's abusing her, making her work too much. I'm telling you, she's not happy!"

"She is the horse, right?" asked Moonshade, very confused. "You think she'll be happy carrying us in this friggin heat then?"

"She won't be carrying us silly, she'll keep us company." answered Aurora.

"..." Moonshade was staring at her face without saying anything.

"What?" asked Aurora.

"Nothing.. That makes perfect sense, let's do that.."

** ** ** ** **

"When you said she'll keep us company I honestly thought you were joking." said Moonshade to Aurora who was walking on the other side of the horse.

"Well I wasn't. I told you I felt her pain."

"I wonder if that's an Earth master thing.."

They were walking with the horse in the middle of them and the heat started to disturb to two once again, but it was disturbing the horse even more. Aurora said that they should find a water source for the horse and quick. Moonshade was not able to make up his mind about the situation, did one laugh in such a situation or cry, he wondered. Eventually they came to a town hoping they could find water for the horse and for themselves also. As they were walking around the town Aurora wondered why there was no people around.

"Maybe this town likes to nap." said Moonshade.

"I doubt it. Something's off." said Aurora and then she suddenly lost balance because of the strong wind coming from the opposite direction. When she opened her eyes, she saw a tall old man coming out from one of the houses. After him, came out four other well-built younger man, dragging a fifth man along who was clearly unconscious.

"He must be a demon." said Aurora. "They must be taking him to the Head city."

When she looked at Moonshade right behind her, she saw that he was clenching his fists and biting his lower lip like crazy...

*End of Chapter 1