Chapter 15

He was so close to her. If he turned his arm just slightly he would be touching her.

Touching her.

His fingers twitched.

She was shy, that was plain to see. She was totally focused on her ice cream, and a light blush peeked through her cheeks.

You should leave, Henry. She's obviously uncomfortable.

But how could he leave when he was sitting across from a painting?

A living painting.

He cleared his throat. "I'm sorry about Penny."

Lucy set down her spoon and peered up at him with soulful eyes.

"It's like every time you see her she does something obnoxious. Sometimes I really don't understand her," he brushed back a loose strand of hair that was hanging over his eyes.

Her blush deepened. "Why are you with her?"

Ah, that question.

"I-" He hesitated, looking at her eyes. Every time they met his they would dart away like  skittish kittens. "It's hard to explain."

Henry looked out the window and smiled. He pointed at one of the tables. "See that couple out there?"

Lucy turned her attention to the window. He saw her face lighten up. "Yeah. They're so cute."

"They come in here every Tuesday and order the same thing and sit at the same table. They're my favorite customers."

Besides you.

Get a grip, Henry.

She wasn't looking at him now. She was staring at the couple with a strained smile on her face. He recognized it. It was the kind of smile his mother would wear when she saw something that reminded her of their life in Florida - the good parts - like a group of kids driving to the beach or the smell of sunscreen and seafood. It was the kind of smile someone wore when they missed something.

What pieces are you missing, Lucy? Let me put you back together.

He heard a jingle that meant someone had entered the shop. He wanted to stay with Lucy - Lucy, Lucy - but he had a job to do.

He started to stand up. "Thanks for letting me sit with you, Lucy."

Her eyes met his, followed by her smile. "Thanks for asking."

He went back to his job, watching her until she left. She waved at him on the way out.

He realized as soon as she was gone that he missed her.

-
the painting is The Singing Butler by Jack Vettriano and guys i love this painting it reflects so much about love

lol i wrote this a long time ago but didn't post it. HENRY IS SO CUTE I LOVE HIM

-✌🏻