The First Tears

The next morning didn’t go so well with my mother. She kept hugging me and telling me that I had to win or her. That I could die in that arena. That if I did die in the arena, I would have to go down fighting. 

When I got to the square I walked up to the stage and stood on the right side of our district’s tribute escort. Her name was Flocker. Her Mohawk was tall and dark blue this year. For the first part of the ceremony I was completely zoned out. I just couldn’t stop thinking of what happened to my father, Finnick O’Dair. My mother says that he died before I was born. The only other thing that she told about his death was that it was all the original President Snow’s fault.

“Well.” Flocker beamed, knocking me out of my trance “Now it’s time to pick our tributes. Let’s start with the boys this year.” She stuck her hand into a bowl that was tinted blue. She pulled out one of the dreaded white slips. She leaned over into the microphone and opened it. “Jet Maylord.” She called out with a frown and a tan, mostly toned teenage guy stepped up beside her. Then she shoved the slip into her jacket pocket and walked over to the bowl near me. She trusted her hand into the empty bowl and pulled out the one piece of paper that sat in it. The one with my name on it. She walked back to microphone and opened up the slip. She looked at me regretfully as if she didn’t want to see me go. “Anya O’Dair.” She said, closing her eyes slowly, trying not to cry on camera. I stepped forward slowly and looked into the crowd for the first time. I saw my heart broken mother, crying and leaning on one of her victor friends. The man comforting my mother was tearing up too. Then it hit me. His son was Jet. Not only would I have to go against Jet, but if he died in vain, it would stick to me forever.

~

After seeing my mother and a few friends, we boarded the silver train. Jet and I sat in the dining cart not speaking a word to each other. His eyes were puffing and his nose was red, which meant that he had been crying during the visits in the Justice Building. He didn’t look like the type that would cry, but I guess you can’t really judge someone by how they look.

“So,” Jet said breaking the silence between us “Who do you think is going to be our mentor? Considering they probably won’t let either or our parents do the job.”

“I’m not sure.” I responded “Possibly either Ronnie’s dad, Trout, because he hasn’t mentored yet. Or possibly Mace, Nick’s mom. I know they won’t put Grace or Davy, Miller’s parents, because Grace is pregnant and could give birth at any second. Net’s most likely going to be our mentor because he’s probably the most stable out of all of the victors in our district”

“I have a feeling that you’re going to be right on this one.”

“Okay, you two,” Flocker said, walking into the room. “How do you feel going into the spot light like your parents.”

“Excitied.” Answered Jet, with a smile. Of course he was because even though his mother died only recently, he knew what she was like. He knew what shoes he had to fill. He knew he legacy she left behind. I didn’t.

“Nervous.” I replied, staring at the floor.

“Why’s tha-.” Flocker cut herself off, realizing what I meant. “Listen, Anya, your father was the jewel of the capitol. The citizens of almost every district adored him, especially the women.” After those words left her mouth the TV cut on. Albert stood at a podium in front of the flag of Panaem.

“Hello citizens of Panaem.” He boomed “I am here to announce a new twist in the upcoming games. To show how generous the capitol has been and still is, if both tributes from the same district are the last two alive, they will both be crowned victor.” As usual I zoned out. The only thing I could think of was that if both of us came home alive, neither of us would have to live with guilt. After the TV went off I zoned back in. I had a plan, but I couldn’t let Jet know about. If he knew he could possibly ruin it. Was it worth telling him and taking the risk?

“I have a plan.” I said before I realized it

“Is it a good plan?” Jet asked

“I’m not sure, but if I tell both of you I need honest opinions.”

“Ok.” Jet and Flocker said in unison.

“Well I remember that Peeta played the lover card on Katniss during the 74th games. Why don’t we try that, but we both are mutual about it from the start?”

“That’s not a bad idea.” Jet responded

“We could give it a shot.” Flocker replied “But you two have to play the part and not forget about it.”

“Right.” I said

“Now, you two need to get to get some rest.” Flocker said, to which we both got up without an argument and went to our cabins.