5.

The pack stay at the bakery after it's closed, Danny there too, to hang out all together. Stiles tests out new recipes for salted caramel brownies and some new milkshakes.

They don't mention it if Derek sneaks off to the kitchen while Stiles is preparing the food. And they don't mention it - until Stiles is out of the room - when Derek's ears are pink and his dimples don't go away.

Derek shocks Stiles when he grins brightly at him, hidden away in the kitchen, and leans in closely. He can smell their scents mixing, Stiles wearing the shirt Derek gave him. Stiles reaches out and Derek freezes.

Is stiles going to kiss him? He can't do that. Just thinking of kisses makes him relive the bruising lips that marked his skin all those years ago.

Stiles' hand lands on his shoulder, thumb gently rubbing the soft skin just above the neckline of his tight shirt. So tight that Stiles got way too hard at work when Derek walked in and brushed close to him.

As Stiles' skin makes contact with his, Derek's intrusive thoughts clear instantly. His pupils dilate and his face flushes, nostrils flaring at the scent of his mate.

"Thank you, for being so accepting of me and the pack," Derek says quietly as Stiles leans in closer. He waits for Derek to pull back and when he doesn't he squeezes his shoulder gently before backing off.

"You know if there's anything that makes you uncomfortable you can just tell me and I won't do it?" Stiles says quietly as he takes the brownies out of the oven. He doesn't mind that Derek doesn't respond, let's him think.
"It's just hard for me to believe. I've been lied to in the past," Derek murmurs, like he's ashamed.
"I'm not her, Derek."

The pack are constantly laughing and Stiles doesn't stop smiling. Derek can't take his eyes off of him, chest feeling warmer than it has in a long time. He feels is eyes crinkle as Stiles flushes from all the praise he's receiving. The smaller boy turns to him, sharing a small smile and knocking their knees together.

They play a game of never have I ever and all Derek can focus on is the changing colours streaked in Stiles' hair. Stiles gawks at some of the questions the pack ask and the information they share.

John can't help his smirk when next time he invites Derek for lunch in his office Stiles tags along. Derek's shoulders are more relaxed than they have been in years, John notes as Derek listens eagerly to Stiles' rambling. It's Derek this time that takes charge of lunch, a vegetable stir fry making its way onto the sheriffs desk.

Stiles beams at that, pleased. However, when he isn't looking Derek slips John a doughnut. When they leave, John smiles smugly as he thanks Derek for lunch. Stiles narrows his eyes but he's too happy to say anything.

"How about you take me for that coffee I was offered?" Stiles suggests hopefully as Derek starts the engine. He gets no reply.

Nervously he looks over and Derek's cheeks are pink, knuckles white where he grips the steering wheel.

"Uh- Derek?"
"I don't know if I can do this, Stiles. You deserve somebody who can give you everything. I can't. I can't even figure out how I feel."
"You are what I want, Derek. You're my soulmate," Stiles says quietly, resting his hand on Derek's thigh.

Derek had been driving towards the cafe but he takes a sharp turn and continues looking at the road ahead.

"Where are we going?" Stiles demands. The growl emulating from Derek's throat is slightly worrying.

"I want to do this. I want to be enough for you," Derek's answers when he finally collects himself enough to reply.

Stiles takes a deep calming breath, reminding himself that Derek won't hurt him and he is safe. He waits as patiently as he can and stays quiet.

When he goes to move his hand from Derek's thigh the bearded man whines like a wounded animal.
"Okay," Stiles soothes, gently rubbing circles into the firm thigh beneath his palm. "I'm here, Derek."

Stiles is even more confused when they arrive at the local drugstore. Nonetheless he follows when Derek motions for him to do so, sticking close by his side as they go to the hair dye section. Derek doesn't look at him, like he's ashamed, as he grabs a pack of hair dye remover.

They don't speak until they're back at Derek's place, Derek pulling him into the bathroom where he sits in a stool.

"Derek," Stiles says breathlessly, staring at them in the mirror. Derek closes his eyes, resting his head in his hands.
"I need to do this. Please, Stiles. Help me?" Derek begs desperately, eyes shining wetly as he gazes at Stiles through their reflection. "I need this, to really be your soulmate."

And that's all Stiles needs to hear.

Derek directs Stiles to spread the strong-smelling, white paste across his cheeks and stubble. Stiles holds his breath as he carefully covers the hair on Derek's face with soft fingers. Derek's nods when Stiles gestures towards his eyebrows.

He's so close that Derek can feel his breath on his face as he gently rubs the cream into his dark, thick eyebrows. And that's where they stop. Baby steps.

The research he's done into this before couldn't have prepared him for the pain the remover caused. Stiles winces each time his eyes flash red and his claws pop out before he pulls himself back together, for it to happen all over again.

"Just five more minutes, Der," Stiles soothes, warm hand settling on Derek's back. "Nearly there."

Just hearing his voice and smelling his soulmate helps Derek pull through. Stiles is quick to wash it off once the timer has sounded, letting Derek collapse into his chest as he lets out a weak growl.

"I'm sorry. For making you do this," Derek tells him when he has tried to sober up and put on his brave face. "I - I -"

Stiles lets him go when he struggles in his arms, easily walking away and plopping down on the couch. He pats the seat next to him casually as he flicks through the channels on the tv.

He doesn't want to make this a big deal (even though it is a huge deal) and he knows Derek is going to try to kick him out, push him away. But he also knows that Derek can't be alone right know. In every other big moment of his life Derek has had no one there for him. Stiles is determined to change that.

Derek, still overwhelmed by his pain and emotions, whimpers and follows the soothing scent coming from his couch. When he reaches Stiles side the pale boy just smiles, doesn't even look at his beard, like nothing has happened.

With Stiles by his side and exhaustion weighing down his muscles, Derek sleeps soundly, without a nightmare in sight.

Waking up beside Stiles is nothing like Derek has imagined it to be. It's butterflies and softness rather than the harsh and alertness he's used to around his Soulmate.

Stiles smiles sleepily at him, snuggling into his shoulder in the place they've fallen asleep in the couch. Derek's senses are overwhelmed by his soulmate, but instead of the panic from his wolf he works usually get he receives nothing but eagerness, content and adoration.

As Stiles stands at the kitchen counter to make coffee Derek watches him and can't help but think that he'd like to wake up like this every morning.