Surreal

"It was something interesting to say the least, peculiar even. I had never seen something so- so facinating. My mind was in a whirl as I tried to process just what this thing was that was in front of me. It was an orb that appeared to be made of some liquid which I admit at first thought was water. But how could that be so? With all I know now, or so I think I know, that would be an impossibility. It was definitely much more. As it floated just before my face my curiosity became too much to take hold of and I immediately felt my arms move upward without so much as a thought. Now it seems so odd to me how impulsive my movement was, never before had I touched something foreign to me. Perhaps it was my formerly timid nature or the fact that the world had been changed somehow and everything was foreign, therefore nothing was. I had not time to ponder on that, just time enough to stop myself just an inch from this orb. I squinted my eyes to get a better look, maybe there were some answers to this alien object. When no answers came to me I decided that this situation was life or death, how such a severity to this small matter came about I can no longer recall, just that it seemed to be beyond important that I touch it. Maybe it was to make sure it was real."

I often found myself looking to my grandfather in awe as he told me these incredibly surrealistic stories. His eloquent manner of speaking alone put me in some sort of trance where anything and everything that he could have said would make me believe it with complete finality. Paired with his speaking was the way he looked when he told me these strange anecdotes, sparing no detail truly gave me the desire that what he said was real.

"I lifted my arms the final inch to it and started to feel a dampness on my palms mixed with a tingling sensation that made me giggle. I was about your age then and probably the most curious boy there was at the time. Most of the children of my age had sunken in faces and were stricken with a terrible poverty and not in economic terms. It was a familial problem." He needed to catch up on his breathing as he seemed to speak completely through one and did not help his deteriorating health. "The children in my time were lacking in mothers and fathers on the eve of Redemption- this is what they call the dissappearance of the working classes, not a part of the one percent or those under twenty. It was meant to clean up the messes the adults made leaving every child parentless just after. Can you believe- I-I seem to have gotten off topic." I could not bring myself to interrupt his words as they were his only lucidity in some time. "That orb- it showed me everything I needed to know. It was a blessing. It-" 

He was cut off by my parents arrival stuck on their forms ushering me out of the room with annoyance pasted to their faces. "Leave your grandfather alone." I smiled in compliance, these had been the first words either of them had spoken to me in days. They were never good parents.