1.0

It's quiet out here.

I know it won't be quiet for long-soon the people of District Four will soon be awake, and the hustle and bustle of the day will soon begin. But for now, at least, it's quiet.

In Panem, you learn to appreciate the quiet just a little bit more. You don't get much time to simply sit back and enjoy the nature out here.

"Aris."

I hear a voice, and turn around. My twin brother Rye is walking across the sand dunes towards me. Of course he would be the one to find me when I don't want to be found. He's always been my other half. 

"Have you been out here all night?" Rye asked, his voice raspy. He obviously just woke up. Behind him, the sun pokes it's way through the night and casts a dark shadow on Rye's body. I turn back to the ocean-to the waning moon and yawn.

"Something like that." I mutter.

Truth is, Rye is right. I have been out here for the majority of the night. Sometimes, when I can't sleep, I come out here. The sound of the waves rolling against the beach is relaxing to me. I could come out here and sit for hours. Sometimes I do.

"It's Reaping Day." Rye whispers, almost as and after thought as we stare out over the ocean.

That's right. It is Reaping Day. But really, how could I ever forget. Reaping Day is like a holiday of sorts-always in the back of your mind. It is anticipated with a mix of excitement of dread. Believe it or not, there are really people in Panem that look forward to the Games! They fight to be chosen. Here in District Four, we are not as eager. There are still a few, but not many. Rye and I each have our names in a dozen times: three entries each because it is mandatory, and the rest are put in in exchange for tesserae. Between the two of us, we manage to collect enough rations to keep us and our younger brother Fyne alive. It's just been the three of us for a number of years now, but we wouldn't have it any other way. We manage well enough in any case.

"You nervous?" I ask him sarcastically. Of course he's nervous. Everybody is nervous on Reaping Day.

Rye shoves me playfully in the arm, and we settle into a comfortable silence. We watch the ocean change colours as the sun rises slowly behind us. From deep blue, it slowly gets lighter as the sunrise reflects upon its surface. It certainly is beautiful. I have to wonder though, if this sunrise will still be waiting for me here tomorrow? There are hundreds of kids in District Four-any one of them could be selected for the Games. I know my odds of getting picked are fairly slim. But without fail, every year I get nervous regardless. Every year however, Rye and I make it through. We've got four more Reapings to survive, and then we'll be free for life. Just four more.

Rye sighs, and stands up. I can hear his bones cracking as he stretches up towards the sky.

"We should probably be getting back. The Reaping starts at 10:00, and the you know what will happen if we're late." Rye tells me, offering me his hand. I look away from him, taking one last long glance at the sea, praying a silent prayer.

Keep us safe. Please keep both of us safe.

"Aris," Rye complains. He's getting impatient with me-I can tell.

I grab his hand, and haul myself to my feet. My joints grown as I stand: stiff from sitting for so long. I twist, hoping to relieve some of the pressure from my back. I feel a satisfying crunch, and turn back to Rye. He doesn't let go of my hand as we wordlessly start the treck back to our home. I know that this is his way of supporting me-of letting me know that everything is going to be ok. And for just a moment, I really do believe him.