Chapter 5

5

It was four o'clock and once again I was bored senseless.

The routine that I had oh-so-desired had by now back fired right into my innocently awaiting face, maybe breaking a nose and a jaw on the way. All I had wanted was something simple and what I had gotten was simple. But, just maybe too much so. I had no source of excitement. The only time when I actually had something going on in that dust covered brain of mine was when my cat needed something. A picky little fecker, so he was.

But other than that, nothing. I was cold, stoned bored and there was nothing around me that could liven it up a bit. I could even admit to enjoying Janette's constant nagging, it made me feel something at least. Something other than utter boredom.

Boring.

Boredom.

Bored.

The word swirled around in my brain, confusing me. It was such a cliché word. Monotonous was a lot more descriptive. Even dull would be better.

And yet, no matter how much I hated life in Longhall village I could never escape. To escape would be to admit the truth and to admit the truth, I would lose this continuous battle of the mind against my mother, Lily.

And I would never, ever give up.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

I glanced away from Weiner as he clearly eyed me up, his gaze creating shivers all over my body. But not in a good way of course. The man was a pervert, there was no other word for it. He was down right creepy and yet, just because I worked for him, I couldn't give him a kick where he deserved it.

Right, smack-bang in the balls.

I rolled my eyes and looked away.

I clicked the pen that was in my hand as I leaned forward on my check-out stall. My arms were folded in an awkward position but I didn't mind. It was a nice uncomfortable feeling, it kept me awake and alert.

It was oddly humid today, slightly stuffy yet dull and full of low clouds. I recalled walking to work in the morning as a fog hung lazily across the earth, almost blocking the view of my surroundings. It was obscene really, how the weather changed from day to day. Yesterday it was raining, today hot and tomorrow, well I couldn't tell that far ahead. Not even the weather men and women were particularly good at that.

I hummed along with some odd song that played quietly in the background of the shop. It added to the ambiance, is what Mr Smith had said at least. I couldn't really disagree with him as it did liven it up somewhat. Not that that meant a lot. It wouldn't be hard to liven up this joint.

Click.

Click.

Click.

I was even getting on my nerves at this point, so I dreaded to think about what was going through Mr Smith's mind. Surely he wouldn't fire me for being overly annoying. Now that would be taking cruelty to a new level.

A cool air suddenly floated throughout the room, giving my legs the relief that they were looking for. I didn't have to look up to know that someone had entered. However, I did take a glance just to see who had come to antagonize me.

Betty Benson strolled around to the magazine shelf and let her eyes dart across the covers.

Now, Betty was quite the attractive woman and if I swung the other way, I wouldn't say no. She had curves to spare on her body, not t mention the size of her breasts. She could probably fit three of mine in there. I was not entirely sure that they were real, in fact they were more than likely as fake as my sisters. But Betty looked good. Really good.