The Undertow - Part 3

Last part of the Undertow chapter here. This part is short but this entire chapter is a bit longer then most in the book as it begins a crucial moment in the life of Sev. I hope you have enjoyed reading this so far and are getting a feel for the character. Soon everything changes. 

The Undertow - Part 3

We finally made it to the docks. It took us hours even by airlift to make it to our designated positions. The city square up to the landing rail was filled with thousands of people. Everyone was counting down the minutes until the Tritan would arrive. I was standing next to my mother. Across the heads of dozens of other men and women stood Aira on top of someone's shoulders.

5 4 3 2 1. Silence. Nothing happened. I looked at my mom. I was about to ask the same question that was on everyone's mind. I didn't. She looked at me and grabbed my hand. She pressed firmly. Hysteria slowly began to break out. People began talking and causing an uproar. The founders of the city scratched their heads. A group of Myra screamed and then we heard them smash a window as they began trying to loot a store. They wanted chaos. Their boney crowns and armor were no match for the Eek security. No one knew what was happening and no one could have planned on what happened next.

It had only been a few minutes. It came out of thin air. Parts of it seemed to appear and disappear. It was like the world itself was being torn in two. The air would heat up and then grow cold. It became harder and harder to breath. It was then we saw what was happening. The Tritan appeared. Pieces were breaking off like rain falling from the sky. Falling over the heads of hundreds. People began screaming and running but for those closest to the center there was only silence. The blast sounded like a train tearing apart on tracks. The Tritan burned and twisted as it came out of the immer piece by piece raining hell onto the ground. I reached out for my mother's hand but couldn't feel her. Why did I let go in the first place? I didn't have time to react. I fell to my knees. The crowd moved around me and shoved me bruising my sides and shoulders. It felt like hours but it was only a few seconds before I turned and looked to my left. I found my mother lying on the ground. Everything after seemed to fade to black.  The Tritan screeched one more time as it positioned itself on the ground in two colossal pieces like a ship sinking on an ocean floor devouring any poor soul who was stationed underneath. There it settled. Everything must have gone silent again or perhaps it was I who had gone deaf, there was no way of knowing. Dust and ash flew out from below the ruined ship coating every inch of the air. I could hear the Myra screaming again I wasn't deaf after all. Those closest to the epicenter were dead already the ash and air mixed together turning their lungs into cement suffocating them in an instant others had become nothing more then black shadows etched onto the walls and the ground. It was their remains mixed with the debris of the Tritan that surrounded me now.

It was then we heard the cry of the beast. 

The purge had begun.

To be continued...

Don't forget to vote!

Own my first novel (and first book in my 'Deep Darkness' series) 'Pull' on Amazon http://hyperurl.co/vfj635 available now!