Welcome to The Core

CHAPTER 19

“Do you think this human can really offer what he claims?” Natsuko asks casually of Jean as she stares out the window of their speeding aircraft. The offer was inviting; High end military weaponry and previously unknown information on channels in exchange for a contingent of vampire and animi troops to help defend humanity's interests. Both sides have troops to spare and the stories about the weapons the humans were using sounded almost impossible. If there really were mortars that can vaporize a building in one shell, Natsuko doesn’t want to be the only one without one.

“It doesn’t matter what I think, Bashina already said that we need to cooperate with him. For what it’s worth, I agree. With what we’re up against, we need all the help we can get.” This fact is inexorably true. In the recent weeks, the combined forces of Ahmu and Kagan have been nearly unstoppable. Any human resistance they ran across is annihilated or absorbed into their ever growing army.

Even with Natsuko’s clan working in tandem with Bashina’s empire, all they’ve managed to do is delay their enemies’ advance. Most of eastern Africa has degraded into a nightmarish hunting ground for the mongrel horde. Ahmu was making rapid progress towards conquering his beloved Egypt. Repeated attempts by human diplomats to initiate negotiations with him always result in the same thing. Pieces of the diplomatic envoy are mailed back to their leadership with a 'thank you for dinner' note nailed to their skulls.

Europe has fared no better. Governments and commerce on the continent have collapsed. The human population has become nothing more than a livestock commodity being bought and sold in the street. Scores of newly leashed slaves are forced to demolish cities and build a series of new temples to Kagan in their place. Perhaps the only bright point is that Ra has not yet initiated a second series of suicide attacks.

“I was surprised to see you along for this mission, Natsuko. There could be days of negotiating ahead. I was sure Mitsuru would be here. God knows there are a hundred different places I would rather be right now. Our most accomplished diplomat is dead and Bashina has other obligations.” Natsuko's gaze drops from the window to her own feet. Mitsuru would not be participating in anything public for some time. In a hushed tone, she pensively responds, “After what happened in Okinawa she has been mentally unstable. To some extent she has been able to perform her duties as an adviser, but she refuses to leave the safety of the bunker we've concealed her in.”

“Unstable how?”

A single tear appears in the corner of her eye, watching her love suffer was more traumatic than any battle she’s ever fought, “Nightmares, for the most part. Wakes up screaming every time she tries to get any rest. It’s the memories of what she saw that day. She's orchestrated countless campaigns in her time. She'd never been in the thick of it like that before. Watching people get torn to pieces for the first time isn't easy for anyone. Add to that the fact that the battle was a complete failure. Mitsuru has never failed at anything.” Jean can hear her stop. The unflappable bravado that Masamura is known for is gone. He believed that Mitsuru was nothing more to her than a subordinate, a political marriage of convenience. What he’s seeing isn’t professional concern, it’s pain, real pain. There may just be a soul in there after all.

“I apologize if what she saw has damaged her. My men and I only did what was necessary to save her life. None of us were adequately prepared for what we were facing at the time.”

She wipes the tear from her cheek, “You don't need to apologize to me. From what she told me, you’re the only reason she got out alive. You could have easily let them take her if you'd wanted; but you didn't.” Her gaze shifts from her shoes to Jean, “When we first entered into this alliance, I was unsure if we could trust you. I officially have my answer. I must say I was shocked when my lieutenants told me my old adversary had risked his life to save that which is most dear to me. Honestly, I expected to hear that you killed her as soon as you arrived in Japan.”