chapter two

Peeta Mellark PART ONE continued...

 I am snapped back into reality by the ringing of a bell coming from the oven, which is downstairs in the kitchen. Something is done baking. I'm overwhelmed by the smell of freshly baked bread followed by a sense of dread serving as a reminder that it is Reaping day. A chill runs through my spine. I put on the clothes my mother laid out for me. Beige slacks and a light blue button down shirt. An outfit only worn on special occasions; somehow the capitol has warped people into actually considering this day as a special occasion instead of viewing it as a human slaughter. A tool created to punish the districts for rebelling 74 years ago. A reminder to the people that the capitol has complete control and everyone else is helpless to stop them.

I run down stairs into the kitchen grab an apron and look toward my father for further direction. He points to the cakes I have to ice. I’m very thankful for this, since icing the cakes is one of the very few things that can actually take my mind off the reapings, not to mention it’s something that I’m actually good at. When I begin to paint the elaborate patterns and delicate flowers onto the cakes, my mind enters a new realm. I feel more relaxed and finally am able to have a break from thinking about my possible death. 

Suddenly my realm of peace is interrupted by the sound of a doorbell. My father goes to the door opens it slightly and then quickly looks around to make sure my mothers out of sight, she hates when my father illegally trades with people from the Seam. (Luckily she’s out running errands.) Once the door is fully open I see a tall older kid dangling a squirrel by its tail in front of my father; I instantly recognize him, i don't know the guy personally, i think his name is Gil or something. He's often seen around with Katniss. They hunt together. Some people think that they're cousins, since they look like they could be related, but other's say that he's Katniss' boyfriend. None of the girls at school believe it though, they always talk about how good looking he is. "Too good for Katniss Everdeen." But they are always seen together down at the hob (the black market in district twelve), and sometimes about in town. I don’t know what to believe, I mean it’s pretty obvious the girls just talk about Katniss  like that out of jealoust, but could they still be right? Maybe he and Katniss are just cousins.

  Regardless, I can’t help but to be a bit jealous of Gil. He's Tall,  handsome, athletic with the classic, olive skin, and grey eyes that the girls just die over. His presence in my kitchen starts to enrage me and i get the powerful urge to punch him right in that pretty little face of his . Who does he think he is? He can't just come in here, into my house, and try to trade a nasty squirrel for my father's freshly baked bread. I try to  forget about Gil and go back to icing the cakes but it’s hard to concentrate. My father ends up agreeing to the lopsided trade. He must’ve been feeling generous today, given the circumstances. “Nice boy.” My father mutters, I just shrug, "yeah whatever pops."