The Beginning of the End

Chapter 1

___________________________________________________________________

           It was honestly just an average day. The sun shining, the kids playing, and of course me, playing Xbox in my dorm. Yes, I know. I really don’t like going outside. Something bad always happens when I go outside. I’m twenty-two years old and a girl like me should really start getting out more.

           My name is Zoey Kana. I am a junior at Silver Springs University in New Hampshire. I spend most of my days wasting time, watching horror movies and playing video games. I am on a scholarship, but honestly I really just want to drop out of college. If I did my parents would die of shock. Though this wouldn’t be the reason they would die…

           “Mom, I am about twenty minutes away. Start cooking dinner. I can’t wait to see you!” I said in a happy tone.

“Oh Honey, I can’t wait to see you either! We need to talk about college though…”Mom said in a semi happy mood.

“Eh… Mom I’m going in a tunnel… er… umm…” I hung up on her because it was just a delicate topic to talk about. If I told my mother I was leaving college she would have my head. I pulled into the driveway of our average suburban house. My parents waiting to greet me with hugs, and smiles.

           “Welcome home!” Mom and Dad shouted, “We are so happy to see you! Come in come in. You must be tired from that drive!

I looked at her, “It was only an hour! If it was more than that I’d probably fly here!” I said ending with a small chuckle. My parents never really had a sense of humor… well neither did I, but that is not the point. We were just your average American family.

“Hey Zoey, come watch TV with your old man,” Dad said while walking back to the living room. “One minute Dad!” I said with an annoyed tone. I really just wanted to relax and listen to music.

I was just about to turn my music on when I heard Dad shout in a fearful manner, “Zoey, Sophia! Come over and see what is on the news!” I ran with Mom as quickly as we could.

“What is it John?” Mom said as she was catching her breath. I walked in a saw the news report title was ‘Urgent Warning, Virus Outbreak’.

I started to get a little worried when Dad said, “They said the virus kills and it seems the people don’t stay dead. It is almost like they are possessed by the virus. They are not releasing anything else other than to stay clear of them.” The look in Dad’s face showed complete and utter confusion. I turned to Mom and she had the same look.

“What should we do?” Mom said in fear.

“Let’s just remain here until instructions are given.” Dad responded.

           That night we had dinner and it was a pretty normal night until we heard,

“Help me! Please!” A woman smashed her way into our home. “Please help me!” She screamed as blood dripped from what appeared to be a bite mark. Mom went to talk to the woman. All I saw was the watery wound shinning in the light.

“Here we must wrap it and we will head to the hospital,” Mom said handing the woman a towel.

“Now what happened?” Dad asked.

“A man attacked me. He looked sick so I went to help him. He then started walking towards me and he bit me!” the woman said with tears running down her face. Suddenly the woman fainted and it seemed like she went into shock.

“Is..is she dead?” I asked Mom.

“I am not sure…It looks like it…” Mom responded. We sat down and stared at her. We were all frozen in our tracks thinking,

“How could this have happened…?” Dad responded in a frozen state. The hand of the woman started twitching.

“John! She is alive!” Mom yelled, “Miss are you…” The woman sprung up and bit Mom in the neck.

“Mom!” I shouted.

“Sophia!” Dad screamed at the same time,

trying to get the woman out. Dad grabbed his gun and shot the woman right in the forehead.

“Sophia, speak to me!” Dad screamed holding Mom.

She was stone cold and we were worried to death about what was going to happen next. I laid there crying and I saw it again. The arm of my dead mother moved. She was turning into a zombie just like the movies I watch.

“Dad! Watch out!” I screamed. She bit Dad right on the hand.

“Ouch! Zoey get her away from me!” Dad screamed reaching for the gun.

“Don’t shoot her! Please Dad!” I begged.

“She isn’t your Mom anymore. We have to deal with this. I won’t have my Wife’s body roaming the earth like this.” He pulled the trigger and Mom fell to the ground

. “Zoey… remember those movies we watch?” Dad asked me breathing heavily.

“Yes, I remember you sneaking me in the theaters… I remember watching Day of the Dead.” I responded with tears running down my face. I knew what was going to happen. He was bit and the virus was coursing through his body.

I heard my Father breathing, “You need to… you know.” I looked at Dad with a smile and tears running down my face.

“I know Dad, just like the movies.” I started to cry more and laugh a bit. It was extremely hard to lift the gun to my Dad’s head.

“Good-bye Dad… I love you.”

I pulled the trigger and dropped the gun. I sat down and stayed in a frozen state staring at my parents. A few hours ago, everything was fine. How did this happen? This was the beginning of the end.