When Your Best Friend is Desperate, She is Desperate

“As always, your expression is exquisite, very elegant. But your technique, Saree. Your technique…”

Even in the middle of executing a series of tour jete, her mind recalled Ms. Amor’s words. Lately, the ballet teacher always had something to say about Saree’s technique, and it never failed to make her miserable.

“You tend to swing your leg too much in your jumps. And your landing is too hard most of the time. It’s not graceful enough.”

What’s ‘not graceful enough?’ What’s wrong with my technique? I’m the best dancer this school has ever had!

Completely distracted, Saree did not leap high enough. Unable to use the force of her jump to turn mid-air, she made a wrong landing and ended up sliding a few feet on the floor on her butt. She didn’t move for a few moments save for the heaving of her chest as she took slow calming breaths. When her heart was back to normal, she stood up and confirmed there were no sprains.

I need a break.

Frustrated with herself and with her absent teacher, she stood up, grabbed her things, and headed for the locker rooms.

-@-

Compared to the main building, the four-storey performing arts building was situated farther away from the quad. It housed Luna East’s theater, which occupied the majority of the building. The rest of the remaining space was allotted for music classrooms and dance studios.

As soon as she stepped out of the building, Saree was greeted by the sight of Luna East students everywhere.

Today was the start of the foundation week. Almost all of the students were out enjoying the various forms of entertainment offered by the other students. She could see different booths offering marriage, kisses, jail time, or food and drinks. Some of the clubs had special shows or activities prepared for the next few days, and they had members inviting the rest of the student population to come and see them.

She had used the opportunity to rehearse in the studio so that no one would bother her. But even in solitude she could still hear her ballet teacher in her mind.

Bag slung on one shoulder, she navigated through the outskirts of the quad, away from the student body eager for a week-long of freedom from their school work.

She planned on heading home to relax and just forget about ballet for a while. Maybe even catch up on her TV shows. But as she made her way to the school gate, she couldn’t help but notice that some of the students were staring at her while whispering to each other.

She couldn’t have something on her face since she just checked it a moment ago in the locker room. Did she wear her shirt the other way around? She stole a quick glance but saw it was in order.

She scowled at the students, who politely turned away. But not without stealing a second—and not-so-surreptitious—glance at her.

She was about to dismiss it and continue on her way when her phone rang.

It was her classmate and good friend, Katey.

“Yeah?”

“Saree!” Katey exclaimed. “You are so not going to believe this.”

“What?”

“You have to come to the arts building quick.”

The arts building? But that was at the other end of the campus. “Why?” she asked.

“I need—desperately need—to show you something!”

Katey had a tendency to exaggerate things sometimes, and Saree thought it was just one of those times.

“Can’t it wait until tomorrow, Kate? I’m tired from practi—”

“No. This. Cannot. Wait. Now haul your ass over here or else I’m dragging you. I’m by the steps.”

The next thing Saree heard is the line being cut. She stared at her phone, debating whether or not to do what her friend said, then another call from Katey came in. She was about to beg off but Katey beat her to it.

“I mean it, Sarah Rielle Termulo. Come here if you know what’s good for you.” Then Katey cut her off for the second time.

Giving up with a sigh, Saree started her trek to the other end of campus. But the stares the other students were giving her did not go past her.

-@-

“You’re late.”

Katey removed herself from one of the columns when Saree arrived at the arts building a good fifteen minutes later.

“You do realize that I walked all the way from the quad, right?” Saree had to point it out. But Katey ignored her, as she tended to do.

Unable to wait for Saree to reach her, Katey met her halfway.

“C’mon!” Katey cried as she grabbed her friend’s arm.

“Katey!” Saree protested, but her friend just dragged her up the steps towards the entrance of the Roman-inspired building.

They passed a huge tarp by the door, welcoming the guests to the Luna East Arts Academy annual art exhibit, and walked in to the main hall. What greeted Saree was something unbelievable. Everywhere she looked, she could see amazing art pieces. Admittedly, she wasn’t an artsy type of person, and she wouldn’t be caught dead pretending to analyze the depth of an abstract acrylic painting. But she could tell that the students taking part in the exhibit were really talented. Luna East Arts Academy was not an arts academy for nothing.

She didn’t have time to admire every artwork, though, as Katey kept dragging her past all of them, until they arrived in front of a divider near the back of the building. And what Saree saw stopped her from her tracks.

There were two paintings. One was of a ballet dancer in mid-arabesque rendered in oil. The other was of a girl’s face done in watercolor.  What both of them had in common was it was just the same girl.

And that girl was her.