Incredulity

Eli Antonio:
Mel told me you got a big part for the fund raiser. Congratulations!
19:49

Me:
I guess you can say that. Haha. Thank you! And you were right.
19:50

Eli Antonio:
About what?
19:50

Me:
That whole tough love thing. Was finally able to clear things up with my teacher.
19:51

Eli Antonio:
That's good to hear. Congratulations for that as well. : p You should treat me to Sandy's this time.
19:51

Me:
Why not? Haha. Tomorrow after school. If you're late by more than 10 mins it's forfeited.
19:52

Eli Antonio:
Hey! Make that 20! Haha.
19:53

Me:
15. And that's final. Haha.
19:53

Eli Antonio:
Why you...
19:54

Me:
See you tomorrow. : p
19:54

-@-

"Wow! And with two minutes to spare. Not bad, Antonio. Not bad at all."

Saree looked up from her phone and smiled cheekily at the completely winded Eli whose brown eyes stared daggers at her. She laughed out loud at that, and he couldn't help but laugh along as well.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world." He took the seat across from her and put his backpack on the one beside it.

"Since you made it, I have to keep my word. What would you like to get?"

"Iced mocha and blueberry cheesecake, please."

"Got it," she said and went to the counter to order.

When she got back after few minutes, she placed their drinks and cake slices on their table.

"Thanks," he said. "Congratulations again."

"Thank you. Again," she replied as she settled down in her seat. Then she leaned back and, crossing her arms in front of her, shook her head. "You know, to be honest, it still hasn't sunk in yet. Me? Dancing Odile? Unbelievable."

"Why not? You deserve it."

"I can't explain it." She paused for a while, poking her cheesecake slice randomly. "I guess after that whole thing with Ms. Amor I still find it hard to believe that I came out, I don't know... whole?"

He regarded her thoughtfully for a bit. "Maybe you've gotten so used to being so negative about your dancing and Ms. Amor. And now that you've cleared things up with her, you've forgotten how it is to be optimistic again." She stared at him at that. He shrugged in return. "At least that's how I see it."

She narrowed her eyes at him. "You know, I think you'd make a good psychologist. Maybe you should change careers." He laughed heartily, eyes crinkling at the corners. She smiled at that.

"So, Odile," he said after a while. "She's the black swan in Swan Lake, right?"

"Yes," she confirmed. "It's really daunting considering I'm dancing with Ella Castillano as Odette."

His hand with a forkful of cake paused mid-air as he stared at her in surprise. "Wow."

She nodded slowly in agreement and echoed him, "Wow."

"Well, I can understand now why you're still in shock. But that's a great opportunity, isn't it?"

"Yes, it is," she replied with a sigh. "Speaking of. Did you hear from her already? About the accent wall proposal?"

It was his turn to pause in thought. "We just got a feedback from her this morning, actually."

"And?" she asked, looking at him expectantly.

"Yeah. She loved it," he admitted shyly. "She said she wants me to work on it right away."

"Oh, gosh! Eli!" was all she could cry out in amazement. "Eli! Congratulations to you, too! I knew you'd kill it."

Amazing, she thought. I knew he was super talented. She beamed widely at him, unable to contain her glee at his accomplishment. He smiled back, dimple in plain view.

"Thank you," he said. "Imagine my surprise when she said she liked it. I think my jaw dropped so hard that it took all of Mr. Bayle's willpower not to force my mouth shut."

"Why? There shouldn't be any surprise to begin with. She liked your painting before right? Why wouldn't she like your concept?" she asked.

He laughed. "I guess you can say we're both in that 'shock' zone."

"Yeah. I guess we are. But still. Wow." She shook her head. "Congratulations. That's so amazing."

"Well, it's all thanks to you, really. I definitely wouldn't have done it without you." He clasped his hands together and looked at them. She could spy his ears had turned pink already.

"Hey, don't look down on yourself," she admonished, reaching for his hands. "That's what you taught me, remember? Listen to your own advice, Eli."

"No, seriously. It's because of you I got this gig in the first place. Thank you." He looked up at her and smiled, showing her that familiar one-sided lift of his lips.

She could feel her heart beating so loud that she was afraid he would hear it. She exhaled sharply, trying to shake the giddiness out of her system.

"Well," she smiled, looking away. "Since you insist. You're welcome. What is your concept, by the way?" she asked. "Now that it's approved, I think I deserve to know how you'll use my likeness for strangers to see."

"It's still a secret," he replied, smirking at her, which became a chuckle when he caught her narrowing her eyes at him for the nth time. He ran his hand through his messy mop of hair. "Okay, fine. It's just a bunch of paintings."

"And?" she asked expectantly when he didn't say anything else.

"That's basically it. And no, Saree, I won't divulge more than that."

"That's so not fair."

"Let's not ruin the surprise."

After spending a few minutes in companionable silence eating and drinking, he put down his fork and said, "We each got our work cut out for us, don't we?"

She sighed, propping her elbow and sinking her face into her hand. "You don't say." She looked at him. "Do you still need help with your painting? I don't think I'll have enough free time to help you once we begin rehearsals."

"Yeah," he said. "I think I have enough studies for the piece. I wouldn't want to impose on you more than I already have."

She waved his words aside in mock nonchalance. "Oh, no, it's okay. You haven't imposed all that much."

He laughed. "All that much, huh?"

And then it hit her. He wouldn't be there by the door looking all dishevelled after running to get to the studio. He wouldn't be there on the floor intently sketching on his pad. She wouldn't get to see his hair and the way it sits tousled on his head; his brown eyes and the way they crinkle at the corners when he laughs; his dimple and the way it appears all of a sudden when he smiles. She wouldn't get to see him.

That was it.

"I hate to admit it, but it's going to be a bit lonely not having you around," she said.

"That means a lot, coming from you. Don't miss me all that much, okay?" he said, smiling cheekily.

She swatted his arm playfully in reply.

"You'll see the piece when it's done anyway, so you're not rid of me just yet."

"I get to see it?" she asked, a little bit giddy at the thought.

"Of course you'd get to see it," he said matter-of-factly. "Why wouldn't I show it to you?"

"No, nothing." She shook her head and, sipping the last of her drink, smiled at him.

Imagine that.