Hidden Death

Death leaned against the lamp post watching greedily through his empty eye sockets.

A young boy of 7 was lost, he cried and cried but no-one could hear him, other mothers were gathering their sobbing children running for safety, Fathers and Husbands were gathering their guns and lining the borders of their town no-one paying attention to the poor boy.

Death smiled although you wouldn’t be able to tell, He then heard rapid bouncing footsteps from a young person coming towards him he turned to see life his eyes gloomier then they ever have been.

“Another one of your masterpieces hey death” said Life pretending to nudge Death in the ribs.

Death cackled slightly, “This will be a magnificent one for sure; I plan on this one going for 6 years and a day”

Life shook his head sadly,“Please if you’re going to do this do it quickly I can’t watch people wish me away.”

Death shook his head, “The world needs this, Life even though it makes no sense now or even 1000 years into the future the world needs this”

“It doesn’t Death! Look at that boy, what’s his fate coming to? He is going to die scared lost and wishing he had his mama!” cried Life gesturing towards the boy.

“Life, compared to what others will be put through…he’s the lucky one” said Death softly, looking over at the boy who was yelling silently because his voice was gone.

“Tell me how his fate is better than the boy across the road there what’s the difference between them?” yelled Life furiously.

“Well before I tell you remember, you asked. That boy over there will first witness his father, mother and sisters die. He'll be put on a train sent to a camp where he will stay for 3 years then will be killed with others in a chamber, dying by inhaling poisonous gasses which he will welcome” finished death.

Life looked astounded his face sunk lower, “I regret I even asked.”

The pair watched the boy, still screaming without sound. To his right he felt the whoosh of the air running through his empty skull and groaned.

“Why do you do this death?” she asked landing on the ground, her wings lying down beside her.

“My job love, just like it's your job to keep that kid safe” Death said gesturing towards the little boy on the road. “And it looks like your failing” he added in an amused tone.

“Do you think they'll send me to” the angel gluped, “Down there” she said gesturing to the ground.

“Oh yes honey, You'll have to work for the devil himself” said death cackling.

The all continued to look at the boy, he was now sobbing on the ground his face in the dirt his back heaving.

Death looked at his watch and grinned. His time has come.

He slowly strolled forwards and the boy looked up feeling his presence, Death smilied down and swiped his scythe.

Life gasped. The Angel dropped to the ground and cried and to Deaths Amusement, The boys mother finally came her face filled with anger until she saw her little boy crumpled in the dust, she hit the ground sobbing heavily.

“The Irony eh?” Death said disappearing into dust.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading my short story! Hope you enjoyed it please comment and Vote. Tell what you think.