Chapter 7

I'd never seen such a thing like war. All I knew was that my friends lives were in my hands, and not a single Hemispherian soldier was going to get through. I pull a knife, and throw it as hard as I can into the approaching Hemispherian group. It flies, and I control it where I want it.

Straight into the cavalry officer's heart. I've just started a battle.

Charging forward, a crowd of teens comes face to face with a common enemy. Many who control earth grow rocks upward, tripping enemies and creating protection for themselves. Water sweeps through the legs of Hemispherian soldiers, slowing them down with furious blasts of wind as well. I throw more knives, and fires burned at the legs of Hemispherian soldiers. I notice Spade forcing soldiers back with his wind, but shots distract me. Someone falls, and green blood is spilled. I try to knock guns away from soldiers, but someone else falls before I can cause a real distraction. Jars is dodging gunfire and neutralizing fallen soldiers, taking their guns and handcuffing them. We're holding them off, but not doing much real damage. I take my last two knives and aim the carefully, landing them in the legs of two soldiers. They fall, and Jars takes their guns and returns my knives. Red blood...normal blood, makes me crumble inside. But this battle is almost over, and when I turn to see Jade, unfocused and about to be shot, I aim and throw. I distract the soldier, and he turns away long enough for Jade to scramble off..

He knows he will die, and he shoots me point blank.

The impact of the ground is sudden, and so is the pain in my abdomen. It's an incredible, unexplainable feeling. Shaking hands clutch at the wound, black liquid staining my fingers. Seconds stretch into eternities as gunshots stop. Some Hemispherian soldiers are dead, majority are captured. The Purples who are still standing are trying to process the battle, and if a Purple isn't standing, then they're dead or dying.

I'm dying.

And someone screams my name.

"Lyra, no..please, don't go. Just look at me...Jars?!!" Spade holds me to his chest, tears on his face. Another person rushes over, Jars, and he pulls my hands away from my stomach.

"Oh god...we need a medic, Lawson! Come here!!" Jars shouts to someone, but I'm slipping. I'm dying. My vision's leaving me, and I can hear ringing in my ears.

"Lyra, stay with me. I love you," whispers Spade. I want nothing but to hold on, for him.

I can sense that someone's near me, and my body starts to repair itself.

But the world has gone black.

-----

I open my eyes to light.

Am I dead? Please, don't let me be dead.

The light of a hanging light. The feel of a hospital-wing blanket. The sound of machines beeping. A tightness around my stomach. A plaid shirt draped over my chest. The warmth of someone next to me.

"Wha-What happened?" I whisper, trying to shift.

"Lyra!" says Spade's voice. I look up into his eyes; he was curled up next to me. He pulls me into a tight hug, and I close my eyes and listen to his heartbeat.

"I was so scared. You stopped breathing while we carried you here. They said that when they got you in here and hooked you up, your heart wasn't beating right. But they healed you, Jars demanded they did. And I refused to leave you," Spade runs his fingers through my hair as he tells me.

"We beat them though?" I ask.

"Yeah. We got news that the nearest country of the Hemispherian alliances surrendered. So we don't have to evacuate, we can stay," Spade says. I could cry. There's no need to send us to the war front now.