9 Fire

Standing near the open door Annie Rose tried to hear what they were saying, but almost as if they, a man and a woman she surmised by the deepness of the one voice and the neutral other one, were not in this realm at all.  Just then the neutral voice said with no small amount of surprise, “Annie!  It’s my little girl, come to visit!  Annie?  Where are you, Annie?  Are you in the house?  Come out, come out and see who’s here already.”

So Annie moved to a place in the interior she was sure the light would not illumine her but allow her to see out and before her in the sunlight was Marie and Drew!  The monster, Drew Barrymore was there with her mother and they were smiling as if some joke was afoot.  She was frightened.  What would she do?  Where should she go?  Even if she got away, it was too far to town, even Wilton, to get help or take refuge.  She would have to take the chance that Junior would save her again, unless the monster was pissed because she had turned him into the cops.  And, in the end of it, she stepped into the light rubbing her belly and did her best to smile.

“What’s wrong?” Marie said as Drew and Annie’s eyes met and her smile quickly faded as his smile seemed to say, “Touché,” or something very much the same.

As the beautiful Annie made her way into the yard, the monster did not feel comfortable looking at her and yet, did not feel any more comfortable turning its eyes away from her.  But in a move that surprised everyone even Annie, she threw him her keys and said, “Something is wrong with my front door.  Would you have a look?”

The monster obliged as all three walked toward the Taurus.  The monster pushed the button just in case it was locked.  It wasn’t.  He pushed the button again and opened the door.  It creaked loudly as before but didn’t quite sound as loud because a breeze was now coming through the trees.  He slammed it shut.

He asked, “Got any WD-40?” looking Marie’s way.

She nodded and, walked toward the house, leaving Annie and the monster by the car alone; all by themselves.

Annie was way past afraid.  Her trembling stopped.  She was cool and direct, expecting she was already dead having been murdered in some horrible way with unspeakable things done in her blood and to her body.  But to her surprise he made no move toward her, but instead turned to the car.

He went to the door again and opened it one more time also.  Then looking at Annie he made his way to his rusty pickup, took up a two and a half gallon can and walked back to her car, tossing the flammable fluid in the seat, and all around inside.  The he removed his shirt and lit a stick match with his thumbnail and tossed it in after.  The car burst into flames and the estranged couple stepped back.

Moments later Marie emerged from the house, no rust destroyer but instead a cordless telephone in her hands.  She put the phone to her ear, and began to punch the buttons necessary to get a hold of some emergency agency when the monster stepped in close and grabbed the phone away, and tossed it into the burning car.

Marie reacted by looking at the monster as if he were someone she did not know who just looked like the friend she thought he was, the virtual husband of her adorable little daughter. 

The monster looked at her and staring in her eyes communicated he wanted her to go sit in the car and that he didn’t care much whether she was dead when her body was thrown in or whether she was alive when she completed his little fantasy.  A moment later and the older of the two women was lying on the ground with her throat cut from ear to ear, or nearly that.  But, the monster bent down, took her in his arms and walking very near the car managed to toss her bloodied body into the flames that only now were coming out from under the hood as well as the interior.  Then he literally ran for cover as he expected it to blow any moment.

It did.

Annie stood and watched unable to feel anything as the violence take place in silence.

The monster walked across the yard to where Annie stood, knife in hand.  When he reached her he put his hand on the neck of her blouse and ripped it open exposing her breasts as well as her abdomen.  He stared eerily at the barely noticeable pregnant form before he touched it with the index finger of his left hand.  Annie lurched back as if the victim of a static shock and for a moment he looked her in the eye.  Then he began ever so erotically to rub the enlarged stomach as his eyes became almost snakelike and the soon the pupils were so dilated it was hard to believe he was able to see in this world from the place in his sentient existence he now dwelt. 

Strangely Annie Rose found it was not more frightening than anything else he had done.  She found herself involved sexually with the monster as they rolled on the lawn tearing at each other’s clothing and making love with total disregard for their surroundings until at last they lay on the lawn as then it began to sprinkle and then a cold drizzle began to drench their naked bodies. 

The monster rose first.  He got up and went to his truck for more gas, and splashed it on Marie’s old Bonneville and the side of the house, lighting it with yet another stick match.  And as the place blazed he stood back and cried.

Annie Rose didn’t seem to be affected by his tears.  She rose and ran in the burning building and secured some clothes that fit her too tightly on the top but did fit her since Marie had been very nearly her size.  Then she walked to the monster, and stood about five feet from it; now concerned it was in some sort of personal torment.  He turned to her and seeing the compassion in her eyes reached out for her, and while staring at her bulging top, put his arms around her and they embraced as they made their way to his rusted pickup truck, the only thing left on the farm that was not aflame. 

Annie Rose got in the truck.  But the monster looked back at the house now fully engulfed in flame and roared like a bear putting his hands up into the air not unlike a preacher but shouting genuine praises.