The Lost Ocean

The water gleamed below the wooden board, creating dancing waves along forgotten souls. Shrunken eyes, burned from salt and the sunlight, tried to focus. The deep blue water caressed the petite board, guiding it to an unknown direction. The tired, squinted eyes focused on the bright sky, twirls of sunlight shredding upon the sparkling shimmers. A bird high in the air let out a faint cry as the water gently whispered. Every now and then the currents would began to struggle, almost turning into a fight just to die down again.

   The eyes in the lonely raft belonged to a frail, shaking skeleton. His curly, damp hair stuck against his sunburnt face, dripping down across his temples like paint. The boy let out a small, painful sigh; holding his sleepy eyelids open as they tried to shut. Splinters threatened his hands, embedding their way in every time he moved. The stomach that belonged to him yelled, groaning to be fed. A large, white bird flew close to the raft, landing on the edge like a perch. The boy knew of the bird's presence but couldn't care, even as the bird glared at his achy flesh. Maybe the bird ever so slightly wondered what adventure had attracted the boy to become stranded. Maybe it was just so the bird was waiting for an approach; the last heave of the boy's chest.

   Within the raft belonged nothing to the boy, for it was just his cautious but disappointing soul. The fin of some curious sea creature creeped from the waves, interrupting their flawless routine. The boy will never know what exact creature had carried a fin so clean, the gray shining against the sun. The boy began to question the raft below him- even the inviting ocean waters. The mysterious fin circled, trying to intimidate the boy. He let out another soft sigh though as the fin disappeared beneath the watery blanket; the ocean pulling it into it's insulting depths. The boy fixed his head against the board, clenching his hungry jaws as splinters pierced his sore fingertips. Sleep grew upon him heavily, drawing his attention away from the growing pain in his stomach. Dreams and lost treasures pulled him into a temporary oblivion. 

   The boy's eyes ceased to flutter open like one's might do. Instead he let them stay closed; only listening to the calming surroundings. The sunlight didn't seem to bake his body as it had earlier, and the hot, salty air had turned to a dreary breeze. The boy let his arm fall off the edge of the raft, darting into the waters below. He cringed, pulling his fingers out quickly. The water felt like ice, the stinging pain still pulsating against his frozen fingertips. One of his eyes dared to open, curious to the changing in environment. Darkness fiercely overtook him, making his vision blur and head spin.

   His stomach was now screaming, begging for attention. The lonely raft floated into more binging solitude, now carrying the weak boy against his will. He allowed his eye lids to snake open again, this time the shadows deemed to be not so harsh. The white, fluffy clouds in the sky no longer drifted around a baby blue foundation. The white birds that had once streaked the sky were hidden; non- existent. The moon created bright streaks among the black waves, only to die down into more reclusive shadows. A brighter, more exclusive glare caught the young, distressed boy's attention. Large, towering buildings began to form in the dark, misty distance. The bright, daring lights lined the horizon, illuminating the shape of a city. The boy smiled for the first time, his deep dimples caving in as his face weakly distorted. Painful shocks and pressure rang through his weak figure though, making him gasp for oxygen.

   The boy dug his finger nails into the dirty splinters below him. As the raft drifted closer his sanity drifted further away. With every deep, wanting breath he took in his will became harder to grasp. The city still sparkled in the distance though, the waves pulling the raft closer and closer. The boy pulled his knees up, small splinters tearing into his skin. The boy let his knees down, blood trickling through the cracks of the raft. The boy's eyesight began to drift as the water began to grow shallow. The air tickled the tip of his icy nose- but he couldn't feel it anymore. He heaved in then heaved out, ceasing to continue wanting air. A small, grim smile still appeared across his face, the feeling in his fingertips growing numb.

   The water gleamed below the wooden board, creating dancing waves along forgotten souls. Shrunken eyes, burned from salt and the sunlight, tried to open. The deep blue water caressed the petite board, guiding it to an unknown direction. The deep, lifeless eyes laid under the bright sky, twirls of sunlight shredding upon the sparkling shimmers. A bird high in the air let out a faint cry as the water gently whispered. Every now and then the currents would began to struggle, almost turning into a fight just to die down again...