Spin the Bottle

It wasn't really his cup of tea, to go to parties, that is. The only reason he decided to go was because of his friends' pestering for him to relax. And of course none of them had even bothered to show up due to some family business. Even Sakuya said he had something to do and couldn't make it. It's not like he couldn't hold his own in social gatherings, in fact he prided himself on making friends easily. But with an entire list of chores to do back home, he couldn't be bothered with taking a break just yet.
"Geez," Mahiru sighed after taking a small sip from the soda cup in his hand. "Maybe I should just go home..."
"Mahiru?"
He turned to a familiar face. Thank God someone he knew was here after all.
"Sakuya! I thought you had errands to run or something?" Mahiru asked, giving his best friend a raised eyebrow. Now that he mentions it, Sakuya never actually specified what he had to do. He probably was just trying to look cool by saying he that had other plans. That sounded like him.
"Oh, yeah. I got that all taken care of," Sakuya glanced away, as he often did when he was embarrassed, "I figured I might as well show up since I had extra time. And I didn't want you to be all by yourself, ya know?"
Mahiru chuckled a bit. "Thank you, Sakuya. I'm glad you're here."
Sakuya laughed, throwing a lanky arm around Mahiru's shoulders, "Yeah, what would you do without me?"
"Hey Mahiru! Sakuya! Get over here!" called a classmate from the other side of the room. "You've got to get in on this!"
The two ambled over to the small crowd that had formed in a circle, curious to see what had caused such a stir. They were met with a clear bottle in the center and numerous faces of guys and girls from their class urging them to join.
"Oh man... I dunno guys..." Mahiru started before getting cut off by the many students that sat there.
"Don't be such a prude, Mahiru! Come on!"
"Yeah! Play with us!"
"It'll be fun!"
The brunette sent a pleading look towards Sakuya, who was, however, already beginning to sit down with the rest.
"Just one game. If you get too uncomfortable, we can ditch, okay?"
Mahiru smiled a bit. If Sakuya was here, then it might be a little more bearable. After all, he had a talent of turning anything and everything into a joke.
'This might not be too bad,' he deducted, and sat down on the floor with the rest of the students.
About 10 minutes passed, and thankfully, the bottle never landed on him. It was amusing to watch the rest of his classmates have fun. But there was a small uneasy feeling in his stomach that he just couldn't get rid of. What would he do if he was the next one up? Would he be able to get out of it? Thinking simply, it'd be easier just do it to get it over with, but this seemed to be a little too far.
The bottle, spun by a female that he didn't know all too well, whirled around on the wooden floor. He watched it go around and around until it slowed to a stop on none other than Sakuya.
"Oh? Looks like I'm up..." Sakuya groaned a little bit, but laughed it off. "I guess I have to, don't I?"
Mahiru could feel his heart thumping in his chest as he watched the girl blush and move over next to Sakuya. She seemed pretty shy all of a sudden and he wondered if it meant that she had a crush on him. I mean, he was the class clown, and pretty popular with the rest of his classmates. That was obvious from all the laughter and teasing oohs from the group around them. Sakuya just laughed and leaned in, oblivious to the fact that Mahiru was practically dying beside him. He wasn't actually going to kiss her, was he? What if he enjoyed it and they started going out? Mahiru shook his head to rid his mind of the thoughts. He wanted his best friend to be happy, but something was just so...off about this whole game. He didn't want to play anymore. Not if he had to watch this as well as whoever was the next one to kiss his friend.
It was over in a second and Sakuya pulled back, brushing it off like it was nothing. "Guess it's my turn now!" He reached for the bottle and gave it a harsh spin. It revolved for a few seconds.
The burst of laughter forced Mahiru out of his own mind and back to reality. He stared at the bottle on the floor, pointed directly at him. He gulped. He didn't even want to face Sakuya with his face this red. He could feel it practically burning. He had never kissed anyone before and the thought of him kissing his best friend, not to mention another male, was strange.
'At least it's someone I know,' he told himself over and over again. 'It's just a simple kiss. A peck. It's fine. I know Sakuya well enough. It won't be too weird.'
He looked over to Sakuya, who was blushing almost as much as he was.
"Hey, you can totally spin again if you want to," the boy reassured his friend.
After a second or two, Sakuya grinned, then laughed out loud. Mahiru didn't even realize he had been holding his breath until this moment. What could possibly be funny right now?
"No... it's okay..." Sakuya scooted closer, "I'm just happy that I'm so lucky. I landed on the prettiest person in the room~"
Mahiru's face probably heated 100 degrees hearing that. "E-Excuse me?!"
"Just kidding!" Sakuya exclaimed, earning him a smack on the head.
"Just get it over with already, you idiot!"
Sakuya reached for his chin, lifting it up so their lips were at the same level. As they inched closer, he whispered something so only Mahiru could hear it."I only kissed her cheek, don't worry."
Before Mahiru could reply, his lips collided with Sakuya's. It was pretty clumsy, considering neither of them had really kissed anyone in the past. But he could feel his eyes closing at the soft contact, pleasure seeping in. It felt like minutes had passed. Really though, it only lasted a few seconds before he forced himself to pull away. He didn't want it to look like they were enjoying it too much. I mean, they were friends, after all.
There were assorted murmurs and squeals from the people in the circle. But he ignored them. They returned to the game like nothing had happened, and by some miracle, the bottle never landed on either of them again. Soon, everyone got bored with the game and left it for other party activities. Sakuya stood up, making a grand exit like usual, but not before reaching his hand to the brunette to help him up.
"Come on, let's get out of here. I'm so bored with this party anyways," he grinned.
Mahiru smiled softly in return and took his hand. "Yeah... me too."
They walked together after saying their goodbyes to the rest of the party-goers. It was silent for a few minutes since they both had a lot on their minds. Neither of them knew if they should address the fictitious elephant in the room. Finally, Mahiru nodded to himself, taking a breath before speaking.
"Simply enough, we can't avoid talking about it, Sakuya."
No reply.
"Do you regret it or something?"he certainly didn't, but if he had made his friend uncomfortable and hadn't realized it, then he really had some apologizing to do.
"No, it's not that!" Sakuya stopped walking and turned to face him, red as a tomato. "It's just... I dunno... Did you..."
After some sputtering, he finally was able to get out the question that had been burning in his memory, "Did you enjoy it?"
It caught Mahiru off guard. What was he supposed to say? If he said yes, would Sakuya be weirded out? And what if he enjoyed it too? He wouldn't want to say no and knock his self-consciousness out the window.
"Did you?" was the only safe answer he could muster.
"I mean," Sakuya began, unsure of himself, "Yeah. I enjoyed it. That's the whole reason I wanted to play in the first place."
"You mean that you planned that?!" Mahiru yelled in shock. There's no way he could have altered the bottle, could he?
Sakuya held up his hands defensively, "No! It was just luck, I swear! But still..." he paused, "I had been thinking about it a lot lately. I don't know what's going on with me, but I wanted to kiss you."
"You... wanted it?"
He covered his face, "Yes? I guess?I don't know! Aghhh, don't look at me!"
For a reason that he couldn't explain in simple terms, a weight was lifted from Mahiru's shoulders hearing this. It's not like he had considered Sakuya to be anything more than his best friend before, but it wasn't a weird possibility. They had been friends since childhood and Sakuya was the closest person he had other than his uncle. Not to mention that he had really enjoyed that kiss too and more of them would be a great benefit.
"Sakuya... Do you want to come over?" Mahiru asked, without thinking. "I mean, so we can talk about it instead of standing in the middle of the sidewalk!"
The look on his best friend's face was priceless, but he didn't want to add to his embarrassment by pointing it out.
"Talk about what, exactly?"Sakuya asked quietly, not meeting his eyes.
"Well... I was thinking about the possibility of us dating...?" Mahiru said with a hint of uncertainty that made Sakuya snicker.
With an embarrassed grin, he replied, "Are you asking me out, Mahiru?"
He held out his hand, prompting for Sakuya to take it. "I guess I am."
The scene made Sakuya want to tear up as he remembered when they met. He reached for Mahiru's hand just like he had on that day. The boys beamed, brimming with happiness as they walked back towards Mahiru's home to discuss the details of their newly-found relationship.