The Truth Never Set Me Free, So I Did It Myself

Jack's POV

My heart was still beating rapidly in my chest. I was absolutely terrified and excited all at the same time. I had only dreamt of finding someone else like me. A dream I had pretty much started to believe was impossible. I had kept this secret for so long, I was actually surprised when I gave it up so easily. Then again, that may be the exact reason why I told Alex without much coaxing; because I was sick of keeping this all to myself. The look on his face was priceless though.

"Wait, wait, wait, hold on. How many times do I have to tell you not to call me William?"

"Alex, is that really what you're worried about right now? Aren't there more important things, like I don't know, the fact that we both just basically admitted to having super powers?"

"Hey, you wanna keep your fucking voice down?" he asked looking around nervously.

"Why? What are you so worried about?"

"Just trust me. I know all to well what happens if we're overheard."

"What does that mean?"

"Another story for another time, Jack. But right now why don't we focus on talking at normal human levels, ok?"

"Fine, sorry. Speaking of normal humans, how did you know that I wasn't one?" The question had been racking my brain since he first threw me up against the lockers.

"Well I didn't really know for sure. I was just going off some stuff I've read, and like, the whole fainting incident, and the constant headache I seem to get around you."

"You get those too?" I asked incredulously. That would explain why he always seemed to mirror my pained expression and rubbing of the temples whenever I saw him.

"Yeah, but it seems to be reducing in strength the longer that I'm around you. Which I have a theory about as well actually."

"Care to share with the group?"

"Well, from what I've read, people with these strong energies, people that can do certain special things, like you and me, can feel when someone else like them is around. Like these energies are fighting against each other," he said making large hand gestures in an attempt to demonstrate the energies. "I'm thinking that's the reason why we both fainted my first day. Because it all happened at once, and our energies were too strong for each other. From what I've gathered, the more time we spend together the better they should adjust to one another. That's why I think we're still getting headaches, just ones that aren't as strong as they were yesterday. And hopefully, if we spend enough time together, the headaches will go away completely. But, like, this is just me reasoning, it really means nothing," he finished, looking down at his feet, feigning embarrassment at the obviously well thought out theory. He had clearly done his research on this shit. Meanwhile, I didn't even know there was research available to be done. I kind of figured I would just suffer in silence all my life, questioning but never knowing anything about what I can do or why. But apparently Alex was much more motivated than I was.

I looked at him and smiled. One thing in particular had stuck out to me from his whole speech. "So I guess that means we're going to be spending a lot more time together huh?"

Right after that, one of the administrators caught us basically ditching class and we were threatened with referrals, unless we "hurried along" to where ever it was we needed to be. We walked into room X204, greeted by the eager faces of our peers, hoping for any sort of distraction from the current mathematical hell they were being forced to sit through. But were of course disappointed by the lack of an announcement or drug bust, when they received two regular ol' burnout tardy students. Mr. Marcus made some joke about us being so late and that we shouldn't have bothered to show up to class at all, and then directed us towards our seats on opposite sides of the room.