Flawless [8]

8.

I dropped the phone; I didn’t want to look at it anymore. I let it slip through my fingers and fall on to the carpet of my bedroom floor. There were no tears, no angry screams but a feeling of cold hatred. I was angry at him, for making me believe that he was worth everything I had to give to him and at myself for almost giving him everything.

“Delta, I’m so sorry.” Poet said rubbing her hand on my back.

“Don’t be,” I said “It’s not your fault, you haven’t done anything wrong. It’s all him.” I flicked my leg out and kicked the phone across my room.

“So what happened?” Poet asked.

“I heard Charmaine telling Regan.” I said starkly.

Poet shook her head, “No you mentioned something about a car accident and Archer? What happened?”

I stood up and crossed the room leaning against my desk I started re-telling her the events of last night. Right from the locker rooms, to the stranger at the game. Then onto the accident and Archer.

“Do you think you and Archer will? I mean you sort of broke up with your boyfriend last night but do you think…that you guys will get together?”

I ran a hand through my head “I have no idea, I haven’t even thought about it at all.”

“I think you should. If he’s willing to threaten a tool like Ryan for you.” I gave her ‘the look’ and she shrugged “Sorry, I just never liked Ryan”

“Yeah.” I said plugging in my straightener “I could tell.”

 “Sorry dude, I mean I just got a weird vibe from him. I mean he hates potatoes, what kind of person hates potatoes?”

The only logical answer I could think of was ‘Ryan,’ but I didn’t want to say that potatoe-pedo’s name. so in answer to her statement I said plainly “Haters are gonna hate and potatoes are gonna potate.”

Poet started to giggle and after a while, once the joke set in she started to laugh. And laugh. And laugh. And laugh. Until it started to rub off on me. Begging in my stomach, it worked its way up my throat until it came out of my mouth. Loud and pronounced it keep going, until my stomach muscles hurt. I bent over clutching them. And Poet fell off my bed clutching hers. “I can feel a six pack coming on.” she gasped between breaths.

I’m so sure why I was laughing, it could have been partly because I just called my boyfriend a potatoes but then again I wasn’t entirely sure.

After a while we calmed down, enough to continue on with the conversation.

“So what does Archer’s car smell like?”

I gave her a look on confusion as I moved the straightener through my hair. “Seriously? What kind of question is that? I don’t know before you ask again. But seriously? You are a stranger kid.”

Poet giggled again, “I know right, I don’t know why I’m single.”

“He-he yeah, it’s a mystery.”

Poet moved over to the mirror on the back of my door, she sat down in front of it, opened her make-up case and started applying her foundation.

“He’s coming tonight.” I said, after a few moments of silence. “Archer,” I continued “He heard about the gig of Paxon so he might be coming.”

“Naww Delta and Archer’s first date.” Poet said swathing her lashes with thick coats of mascara. She always complained that without it she looked like a sick person. But I didn’t see that at all, I always thought she looked pretty, and her eyes were nicest shade of blue, like a lazy ocean in summer time.