mapping characters.

MAPPING CHARACTERS.

"fears are fears. slay your demons when you're awake, and they won't be there to get you in your sleep." - bellamy blake
-
OC = ORIGINAL CHARACTER

one of the worst mistakes you can make while writing any fanfic is having a weak oc.

YOUR OC IS THE HEARTBEAT OF YOUR BOOK!

they are what makes the story different from the original TV show. i've found in some fanfics i've read the OC doesn't really do much, and they're just kind of awkwardly there, stealing other characters lines. (okay, it's not bad for your OC to steal other characters' lines once in a while, but like if that's all they do, they must be stopped). if your OC doesn't really effect the plot & change the other characters, honestly people would probably rather just watch the TV show on netflix...

so now you're probably thinking, okay, so how do i develop an OC that will effect my plot well and capture my reader's hearts? it is a very daunting task. i'll lay it out for you in a few simple steps, that if you follow you will hopefully end up creating a pretty sweet character.

note: you may want to get out a journal or open up a word document to write stuff down!

before we get into creating your actual OC, let's do some writing practice. i learned how to do this in my grade 12 writers craft class, and it's actually really fun. this is what you're going to do:

1. i'm going to put some pictures of RANDOM people below. for each person you're going to make a character up for them so you'll answer the following questions:

name:

physical description:

other qualities: (negative & positive)

random facts:

2. i'll do an example one for you here:

 i'll do an example one for you here:

name: Freya Sofia Rain

physical description: wavy, untamed brown hair. her eyes are chocolate brown. she's 18 years old. she's roughly average height and weight. in the summer she gets tons of freckles. she doesn't smile often, but when she does it's huge. born march 4, 1998.

qualities: positive - determined. hard working. puts others before herself. trustworthy. outspoken. negative - speaks her mind at the expense of others. gets angry easily, and doesn't control it well.

random facts: her dream job is to be a journalist. she's a morning person, can't stay awake past 11pm to save her life. waitress at the local coffee shop to save up for university. has a crush on her boss's son. hates cats, but loves dogs. obsessed with the smell of rain. listens mostly to indie music but her guilty pleasure is fetus one direction. can't dance to save her life. her favourite thing to do on weekends is thrift shop.

3. EASY ENOUGH RIGHT? and it's honestly really fun. so, i'll put gifs of 4 random people down below, and you do the same thing for each one. it's really good practice for eventually mapping out your actual OC, plus it's fun so why not? (ps, if you know who these people/characters are remember YOU ARE MAKING UP YOUR OWN, don't just write down who they already are!!)

 it's really good practice for eventually mapping out your actual OC, plus it's fun so why not? (ps, if you know who these people/characters are remember YOU ARE MAKING UP YOUR OWN, don't just write down who they already are!!)

-

-

that was writing lesson one! i hope you found it helpful/enjoyable. in the next chapter i will get into more specifics of creating your personal OC for your 'the 100' fanfic. xoxo