❝ it's not always rainbows and butterflies ❞

(unedited)

I know I tend to get so insecure,
It doesn't matter anymore.
It's not always rainbows and butterflies,
It's compromise that moves us along, yeah.
My heart is full and my door's always open,
You come anytime you want, yeah.

"She Will Be Loved" -Maroon 5

There was probably only two things I was completely sure of in this whole mess.

One, Ashton was a jerk who didn't play fair.

After he told me the game had started with him, the bell had rang and he had rushed to class before I could stop him. The only time I've ever seen one of the Elite concerned about getting to class on time. I hadn't gotten the chance to talk to him after that since he had skipped yesterday.

Coward.

Two, Kaden had decided to stop being subtle with me.

Instead of trying to discreetly get me out of the house, he had simply dumped me at Devon and Shawn's place. It wasn't like he was even gonna be in the house, he claimed he just didn't want me there alone.

Thank god, Raine was coming back tomorrow; hopefully it would put a stop to Kaden thinking I needed a babysitter 24/7. She had been planning on coming back last Monday, but another problem had come up with the movie she was filming.

Shawn was down at the police station, writing up a report about a kidnapping case he had solved, so it was just me and Devon today.

"So," Devon said. "What do you want to do today?"

I shrugged and glanced at him. "You don't have any plans?"

He sat down on the couch beside me and shook his head. "Not anymore."

"You can still go to whatever it is," I told him. "I wouldn't tell Kaden." And I really don't need a babysitter, I added in my head.

"No thanks," he said, grimacing. "I like my head where it is."

"What were you gonna go to anyway?" I asked.

"I have a life outside of work, you know," he replied, giving me an offended look.

I shrugged.

A couple moments of silence passed before he spoke again. "You're quiet today," he remarked.

"Just thinking." About Ashton and what he could've possibly meant when he said the game started with him. Had he started the game? Or had he been the reason someone else had? And why? What happened with him to start their twisted, deadly game?

I glanced at Devon, who looked like he was replying to a text or email. He knew about the case, but how much? Did he know about the details? Would he? I wasn't sure if he was actually involved in the case, or if he had simply held information for Kaden.

"Hey Devon?"

"Eleven minutes, thirty-six seconds," he said without looking up.

"What?"

"How long you lasted before asking about the case."

"You didn't even know what I was gonna say!" I protested, even though he was right- I had been prepared to ask about the case.

He pocketed his phone and glanced up. "I know you and I know that tone of voice."

"I'm just curious," I said, even though I knew it wouldn't help.

"Curiosity killed the cat," he replied in a deadpan tone.

I bit back a groan. I hate that saying. "The cat was stupid."