Chapter One

Confirming the apartment number on the door, I inserted the key Kelly mailed me weeks ago and darted inside her condo without knocking. My twin sister jumped, jostling a glass near her hand — as if any paparazzi could sneak their way into her secure building. Her blue eyes sparked with recognition as her breath whooshed out.

“Sorry to scare you,” I said. “Got going early this morning since you said it's urgent.” I set my purse on the chair next to her. “Didn’t you get my text a couple hours ago?”

“Yeah, I’m just jumpy.” Kelly dropped the thick stack of papers — probably a screenplay from her agent — and it thumped onto the shiny glass tabletop. An instant later, she was hugging me. “I’m so glad to see you, ie.”

The stress of the two hour drive in LA traffic dissipated as I melted against her. My eyes scanned the spacious dining room and living room, landing on the window that stretched the length of the wall. No wonder Kelly had been so excited about her new place. The view of the hills made you forget you were in the city. The best of both worlds.

With Kelly’s seven figure paychecks, she could afford a Hollywood mansion. But she liked the idea of the doormen and security. She also didn’t want to hassle with the extra staff to keep up the house and grounds.

“You owe me big time.” I squeezed gently, then noticed who else was in the room. “Hi, Sarah.”

Kelly’s loyal assistant wore a slinky black dress more suited for clubbing than working. But this was Hollywood and when you worked for someone like Kelly, you dressed the part. Sarah did anyway. With her heels, she towered over me. Not that she needed any help. At five-two, most people dwarfed me. Probably why Kelly always wore those dangerous shoes that elevated her five inches.

Sarah glanced from me to Kelly, then back again. “It’s weird seeing you two together. If you had highlights, Candy, and straightened your hair, I’d totally think you were Kelly.”

Kelly always spent extra time on her hair and face. I’d skipped the makeup today and let my hair go naturally wavy, as usual. Well, not actually wavy. More like bent or crooked.

“Why don’t you take your lunch break now?” Kelly asked, handing Sarah a fifty dollar bill. “It’s on me today. Give us a half hour to catch up.”

“You sure? I thought you needed me to—”

“I do,” Kelly said. “But it’s way past lunchtime. We’ll deal with that when you come back.”

Sarah hesitated, then opened her mouth like she wanted to object. “You’re the boss.” Shaking her head, she flipped her blond hair before grabbing her bag and disappearing out the door.

“I’m sorry I made you ditch school,” Kelly said.

I raised my brows. “You went to my high school graduation two weeks ago. Wake up and smell my schedule, sis. College doesn’t start until the fall.”

“Oh, yeah, I forgot. I guess I’ve had too much going on.” She stood near her wrought-iron chair as if rooted to the floor, her voice shaky — nothing like the confident, spunky girl who’d struck out on her own to become a Hollywood starlet.

“So, are you going to finally spill why you dragged me here?” I asked.

“You know I’d never ask you to leave Podunk for civilization unless I was desperate, right?” Kelly pressed her lips together, brows drawn.

Kelly was a lot of things — impulsive, sometimes reckless — but she wasn't manipulative. And she never relied on family to bail her out. I had thought the emancipation two years ago at age sixteen was a bad idea, and so did my parents. But Kelly had surprised us all and survived just fine. If she asked something of us, she had a damn good reason.