Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Julian

Taking his suitcase from the boot of the taxi, Julian handed his fare to the driver and looked at Eagle Ridge golf course. He smiled at the sight of the Victorian inspired clubhouse. Julian had fond memories of Eagle Ridge. Before his mother died, his father played golf along with Noel, Alex and Max’s fathers. It was a weekend ritual until his mother passed away and his father, Arthur, couldn’t face the world. His father lost the love of his life and didn’t know how to move on with his life. He never remembered anything other than his mother’s warm smile and hugs. His aunty helped raise Julian and Rob until Arthur slowly recovered.

As he climbed the steps to the main entrance of the clubhouse, he noticed one of his best friend’s with a woman, arguing. Julian held the handle of his suitcase tighter as he climbed the remaining steps.

“You need to leave, Sarah. You can’t be here!” Max growled.

“Max, please, just talk to me. I’m sorry, please, I love you!” Sarah desperately begged. Julian set his suitcase down and cleared his throat, they both turned, surprised to see him.

“Not missing the party, am I?” Julian asked, raising his eyebrow at Max. Sarah glared at Julian with her harsh blue eyes. He knew the kind of woman Sarah really was, even as a teenager. He had caught Sarah terrorising Clara back when Alex was dating her. Clara had begged him not to say anything to Alex and he had listened. Looking back, he should have told Alex the verbal assault his sister had been inflicted.

“Julian, you finally made it,” Max said, his eyes flashed with relief.

“Can’t miss this. Clara would kill me!” Julian said as he walked towards them.

Max snatched his arm back from Sarah’s hold and held out his arms for Julian, giving a quick hug and stepping back, Julian looked at Sarah.

“And what are you doing here?” Julian asked, directed at Sarah.

“I’m talking to my boyfriend,” she said matter-of-factly. The sunshine hit Sarah’s hair and toned it down from its harsh colour. Julian knew Max always had a thing for Sarah but Alex dated her first.

“I’m not your boyfriend,” Max stated in a disgusted tone.

“Max,” she cried, offended by his statement.

“You broke them, Sarah! You lied. You always lied. If it weren’t for Valerie, the truth would have never come out. I let you in and you manipulated me and you played games with me. You say you love me and how do you prove it... by hurting my two best friends. You hurt Noel and you hurt Alex. How could you keep hurting Alex after everything? You hurt Clara, she's never done anything to you. You almost cost Noel and Alex their friendship as well as mine with them both. You don’t give a fuck about anyone but yourself. How I wanted a future with you, I don’t know. I don’t know what I saw in you. Everyone warned me about you but I thought I saw a good person. Now, I know it was just you manipulating me. I never want to see you again!” Julian flinched. Max was always a gentle person so it came as a surprise to see him so full of rage.

“Max, plea-“ Tears welled up in Sarah’s eyes. Julian kept quiet, allowing Max to properly end whatever it was they had together.

“Leave. Before Alex or Noel find out you came and crashed the wedding. I’m done with you!”

“You have to believe me. I meant it. I meant it when I said I love you!” Max just shook his head and walked past Julian. Sarah’s tears slid down her face as she watched him walk away. Turning around, Julian watched as Max fished out his keys from his pocket and picked up Julian’s suitcase.