Prologue

Who does he think he is? That tall boy pulling off skinny jeans like nerds pull off glasses. With his crystal blue eyes and his insane purple stripped hoodie.

No! Stop it!

Although I told myself that he was not my type my heart semed to scream that it was so. But how? This boy is not what I have ever looked for in a guy. And I have looked a lot. It's easy to be open to different guys when you've been single for 16 years of your pathetic life of being a nobody. Of course being me, I was stubborn and liked to deny the rules of this idiotic society.

This boy who stood behind me though, made we wanna follow the rules. Everything about him seemed to catch my hearts attention like no other guy before.

And I thought to myself, Had all these other feelings for all the other guys just been infactuation?

It must have been so because my heart felt as if it had bursted out of my chest and flew higher than the heavens. Beyond any measurement of distance and height. And this was just...

"Hey. I'm Zak."

His words knocked me off my beautiful imaginary adventure of flying hearts and suddenly I was back to being my non-expressional self. Maybe this was why guys didn't like me.

"Um, hi. I'm Brooklyn, but people call me Brooke." I smiled, hoping that I didn't look like a creep.

He smiled again and by the look on his face I must have zoned out for longer than I thought, "Haha, yeah. That's what Lauren was just, telling me."

And of course, I had to be right.

"Yeah, I space out a lot... for no reason... just thinking... about, rainbows!"

In my mind the stupidity meter has just gone from .3 to 7.5! Keeping day to day track of my stupidity was actually really helpful. Especially to my therapist. Who also happens to be my 'imaginary friend'. I mean hey, believe it or not, a lot of teens still have imaginary friends. I think.

"haha you're funny." he laughed a little bit. yay?

I just smiled and said thanks. By the way, this is a football game, and I am in the marching band. Yup, laugh if you want to but it is a legit pain in the ass! Being a flute though, isn't as hard as the tuba or a snare. Yeah, a girl who weighs just 120 pounds doesn't have the capabiltiy to do such things!

Am I getting off topic again? Oh yeah, back to the main story here.

So it's the first away game of the season. Our Northcrest Eagles are here to play against the Southpoint Tigers. It had turned out quite nice actually in the first half of the game. Even better when half time came. I got up and walked around, stretched, ate some food, used the bathroom, and made dirty faces at the Southpoint girls in the bathroom. A good way to spend 10 minutes. Walking back to the stand with Lauren I looked around for Zak. I didn't see him. I tried not to let it bother me though because what do I care? Should I care? Do I care?

It was all so confusing. I didn't even notice when he sat down right behind me.

What the fuck!?

I caught my breathe and he laughed. He looked high, off of that cotton candy he had. And really the conversation continued from there. We talked about all sorts of things. Soon enough it was time to leave and we were on the bus. Like magic!

I was tired. So like most teens I fell asleep on the bus and all I could dream about was being out at sea and how this boy just threw me overboard.