Chapter 4

Optimus' POV

A guardian could suit a Prime, couldn't it? Even if it did sound mistakable, it could happen, couldn't it? The thought hung in my mind, making me think it over many times.

But couldn't Primes be guardians, too? Can they ever have any happiness at all? Ever since Jack, Miko, and Raf got their guardians, I couldn't help wondering if I'll ever be one, too.

And it didn't help matters that every time I look at one of the kids' and their guardians', I feel like someone is stabbing me in the spark. I know I'm a Prime, and shouldn't be acting like this, but something tell me I won't be better any time soon.

I guess you humans could probably say I was jealous, or something like that. Arcee, Bumblebee, and Bulkhead all seem content around their charges. But why not me? I was so deep in my thoughts I didn't hear Miko.

"Hello? Big guy? Are you online?" I snapped out of my daydream and turned to see Miko standing on the catwalk, arms crossed. "Huh?" I blinked, adjusting my optics to see her.

"I asked you how you're doing," Miko said, a twinge of frustration in her tone. "Oh, fine," I muttered. Miko's eyes narrowed. I guess she sensed that I wasn't telling the truth.

"What's gotten into you, Prime? You used to be a controlled leader. Now you're...like, down in the dumps all the time. Even when I come over!" Miko looked at me, worry filling her eyes. "Miko, I am fine. I told you," I said, trying to persuade her. Miko shook her head and snapped, "No, Optimas, you are not fine! I just want you to go back to your regular self!"

"Miko, I..." My voice trailed off, and I avoided eye contact. Miko's eyes softened and she walked across the catwalk to where I was sitting. "Hey," she said. "It's going to be ok. I know you'll get back your old self in no time." She smiled and patted my shoulder plate. I looked up and the first thing I saw was Ratchet. His eyes gave nothing away. The rest of my team looked blank, and sad, too.

Miko wandered over to the TV and started playing her video game. I tried to zone out but it was hard for me when everyone was staring. "I...think I'll go for a drive," I muttered, raising myself to my peds. "Don't go far," Ratchet warned me as I transformed. I turned my front wheels to him to message I heard his command, then I sped off through the tunnel and out of base.

I didn't know where I was going. Just far from base, ignoring what Ratchet told me. It didn't take me long to find the city where the kids live. I drove around a bit, my thoughts wondering when I drove past a bright yellow two-story house. On the left side on it was a forest that seemed to stretch out so far I couldn't even see the end of it. Unusual, Jasper didn't seem to have large forests.

I cast out my senses, making sure no one was around. No sign of life. I took a sharp turn into the forest and only when I was far away from the road did I transform. A branch hit me hard on the shoulder plate, but I ignored it.

I wandered around for a few minutes when I found footprints in the ground. I quickly glanced around. If someone was near, they might freak out to see a 28 foot tall robot.

I cast out my senses again, but the only signs of life I detected where small mammals. That's when I heard a voice. "Come on! I should at least be getting two bars!" I crept quietly toward the sound of the voice and stayed among the shadows. The voice grew louder and I peered out from behind a tree.

A girl-about Raf's age-was laying underneath a tree a few feet away. She had light blond hair and crystal blue eyes. Her dark blue glasses were pressed up against her face. Her phone was raised in her hand, and her face had a frown on it.