5

Scott's POV

Mitch and I have been on a few dates but I still haven't asked him to be my boyfriend. I plan to ask him after prom. Today I'm getting help from two guys I met at school, Avi and Kevin, and also Mitch's best friend, Kirstie, to help me find a cute way to ask him to prom.

We're working on the prom proposal when I hear a knock at the door. I tell Kirstie, Avi, and Kevin to go to the basement with the stuff, hide, and don't come out until I tell them. I open the door to see Mitch crying his eyes out with cuts and bruises everywhere. I bring him inside and take him to the bathroom to clean his cuts.

"Mitch, what happened?" I ask.

"I-I was going f-for a w-walk when I bumped into C-Carter and h-he beat me up. H-he t-tried to do m-more but I pushed him off and r-ran here as fast as I c-could." He explains, trying to stop crying.

Once I'm done cleaning his cuts, I take him to my room. I figured Mitch needed me right now and I couldn't leave him, so I texted the others.

Scott: Hey guys, Mitch is pretty upset right now. We can work on it tomorrow, if you can.
Avi: Ok, I hope Mitch gets better soon. I'm free tomorrow to help.
Kirstie: I'm going to rip off Carter's dick and shove it down his own throat
Scott: Uh.. You alright there Kirst?
Avi: 😳😳😳
Kevin: Well ok then. I'm free to plan tomorrow, too
Kirstie: Oh sorry, I forgot I'm in a chat with all guys. Yeah I'm free tomorrow, too. See ya then.

Remind me never to get on Kirstie's bad side.

"Mitch? Are you okay?" Stupid question, I know. What am I supposed to say in this type of situation?

"No." He replies.

"Does it hurt? Do you need ice? Advil? Anything?"

"No. I'll leave. I'm already a burden to you. I don't want to intrude anymore."

"Mitch, why would you think that?"

"Carter told me! He said I'm just a waste of space! That I am a useless, pathetic, sad excuse for a person!" His voice gets louder with every word. "Why should I even try anymore? I barely see Kirstie or my parents, you're probably sick of having me around and Carter won't stop hurting me! Why me? What the hell did I do to deserve this? I didn't ask to be bullied! Or gay! Or small, or weak, or useless! I just want to be a normal person!" His voice suddenly gets quieter. "If everyone hates me, maybe I shouldn't even be here. Be honest, Scott. Why should I keep trying?" His voice breaks at the last few words.

"Do you trust me?" I ask

"Yeah, but what does tha--" I cut him off.

"So you'll believe me when I say you're not a burden. You're nothing Carter says you are. You're not fat. You're skinny as hell, but not in an unhealthy way. You're not ugly. You're the most beautiful person I've ever seen. And weak? C'mon, you're so so strong, Mitchy. You've been through so much in the past 3 years. And you're doing so well. When I first saw you, you were walking into homeroom. You kept your head down, never made eye contact, and barely talked. Now, you're a sassy little queen." He giggles. "You're not worthless. You're not disposable, hun. You're a human being. A damn perfect one too." When I finish, he's in tears again, but for a different reason.

"That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me. Thank you, Scotty."

"You're welcome, Mitchy."

We watch movies and cuddle the rest of the night until it's time for Mitch to go home. I offer to drive him to which he accepts. After I take him home, I go to bed.

***