The Meeting

Saturday

Patric looked in the mirror as he brushed off the invisible lint off his jacket. Nervous was an understatement. He opened his jacket to reveal his SIG Sauer P238 pistol just in case he needed an extra punch.

There was a knock on the door. When he opened it, Lieutenant Commander Whatley was standing there.

"Admiral I was asked to drive you to the Governor's Masquerade ball  tonight."

"Really?"

"Yes sir."

"Who asked you?"

"Captain Hollman. He said the governor called and wanted to make sure you arrived on time."

"So this wasn't a joke?"

"No sir. The governor does it every year for the vets of all branches. A lot of money is raised for homeless and disabled vets."

"Is that so?"

"Yes sir. The governor does it at his private estate. Senators and other wealthy members of the state come to give their thanks and money. It's very exclusive, the hottest ticket in town. I heard tickets go for a thousand dollars a pop."

"Well that makes sense." Patric grabbed his cape and mask and they left. He felt relieved that the event was on the up and up, but who was the person that sent him the personal note?

The drive was quiet and thirty minutes later they were pulling up in front of a huge mansion where other guests were making their way up the grand entrance.

"I'll be parked over in the corner whenever you're ready to leave Admiral."

"Thanks."

Patric got out and headed up the stairs where he showed his invitation.

"You may now put on your mask sir as it's a requirement beyond this point," the doorman said.

Patric nodded and obeyed. As he walked into the large ballroom, there were many people circling around chitchatting and laughing. He felt a little uncomfortable as he didn't know a soul.

"Would you like a drink sir?" a young server asked.

"Ginger Ale please."

"Coming right up." She walked away twisting her assets.

He looked around and everyone was wearing masks. They were all decorated over the top. He could hear the musicians playing on the stage as a few patrons danced while others were sitting at tables enjoying themselves.

"Admiral?"

Patric turned around.

"I'm Governor Kylan Stewart. It's a pleasure to meet you." The light-skinned black man held out his hand and Patric shook it. "I'm glad you were able to come. I see you received your mask and cape."

"Well I was a little surprised. I've only been here two days and wasn't expecting to be attending a party let alone gifts."

"Well my sister wanted to make sure you were invited. No excuses."

"Your sister?"

"Yes. Amelia has been excited to meet you."

"I'm sorry but I don't know any Amelia."

"Well that won't be for long." The governor walked away and the server  brought his drink.

"Here you go sir." He took a sip of his drink, when he felt a pair of eyes staring back at him.

He turned to see a woman wearing the same mask as he. She was in the corner leaning against a white column sipping on a glass of wine. As he went to approach her, she walked away but after a few steps she turned to see if he was following. She smiled at him navigating through the crowd and up the grand staircase towards the living quarters. He followed behind. He heard her giggle and she entered a room closing the door behind her. Standing by the door he put his ear to it. He could hear soft music playing inside. He slowly opened the door and was shocked at what he saw as he took off his mask.