20. Revenge

“Rose, are you singing tonight?” A girl asked as I dangled my legs from an amp near the drummer.

                I grinned, “Yeah, do you guys want to hear my new song?”

                The small group of fans that got to come into our sound check three hours before the show cheered, excited and eager to show off my new song. The guys other than Harry looked around in confusion as Harry, the only boy in One Direction that was aware I was singing tonight, smirked. One of the guitarists handed me their guitar as I thanked them and slipped the strap around my shoulders, positioning my fingers on the chords to play my song.

                Playing the guitar, I grinned and winked at a confused Zayn before singing, “You got me caught in all this mess, I guess, we can blame it on the rain. My pain is knowing I can’t have you, I can’t have you. Tell me does she look at you the way I do? Try to understand the words you say and the way you move? Does she get the same big rush when you go in for a hug and your cheeks brush?”

                The guys had all stopped to stare as I played the chords perfectly, getting lost in the music. “Tell me am I crazy, or is this more than a crush?” I took a breath, singing the next verse. “I catch my breath, the one you took the moment you entered the room. My heart, it breaks at the thought of her holding you.”

I sang the chorus again, hitting each note beautifully before singing the next verse.

                “Maybe I’m alone in this, but I find peace in solitude knowing if I had but just one kiss this whole room would be glowing. We’d be glowing, we’d be glowing.” I sang strongly.

                I sang the chorus three more times, growing stronger and more confident in my voice with every word that slipped out of my lips. When I was done, I finished up the chords that I struck on the guitar before looking out to the small audience to see them all grinning like fools and clapping. I grinned just as wide as them before I was attacked by a hug from Louis, my guitar awkwardly between us.

                “That was absolutely brilliant,” Louis said, reminding me of Harry’s reaction from yesterday. “I missed hearing you sing, love, because you’re wonderful.”

                I laughed, hugging him back. “Thanks, Lou.”

                When he released me, Harry nodded to me with a smile, like we had a secret between us. I grinned back at him, stripping the guitar off and handing it back to its owner as Zayn took a step towards me with a smile of his own.

                “Better give the love birds some time to talk,” Niall announced, getting a laugh from the crowd as their eyes trained on us.

                I smiled at Zayn. “Did you like it?”

                He wrapped me up in a hug. “It was bloody excellent, Rose. When did you write that?”

                “Well, um, I started it when I got back after I realized that I can’t watch movies all day without spending a five bucks a movie.” I muttered, biting my lip.

                Zayn chuckled his perfect, sexy chuckle. “Well, I bet that song with be on the top ten charts after you release it.” He looked down at me in his arms before whispering, “And you looked sexy as hell when you sang that, by the way.”

                “Mate, we still have one more song. You two can snog later!” Liam called, grinning cheekily as he winked playfully at us.