Or I'll Kill You

Hey guys important note:) the cover to the side was mmade by Sweetmelody1135 ! so check her out if u want a cover! click on the pic of my new ccover to see it up close;) okay now on with the story!! (ps. Check some of my other ones out 2 if u hav the time!!)

One

I switched my weight from one foot to the other. The hair all over my body stood up on its ends, as I crouched down low towards the ground. Low murmurs of my name rang through my head. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Jesse crouch down low too.

So he could hear it too?

Jesse took a step forward, and placed his body in front of me. A low growl escaped from his throat. I can take care of myself, I thought, but Jesse wasn't listening. His attention was too focused on what was hiding in front of us.

My nails dug deep in the muddy Earth. The fact that Jesse thought he owned me made me angrier then I was at the moment. Back off Jesse, I thought, this one's mine!

Jesse let out a cackle that sounded like a laugh. Look at me, I commanded, and Jesse turned his big head to look at me. His fur was a dark brown, maybe black, and he had big black eyes. His eyes were hard and forceful. One look in his eyes, and you were lost in trouble. Not me though, I could look right into his eyes, and tell him how wrong he's been.

While Jesse turned his head to look at me, I charged. I ran right past him, shoving him to the side, and into the evergreen dark forest. Maeve! Many voices yelled in my head. I ignored them all though, and went charging into the forest.

I could hear Jesse speed up after me, so I ran faster, and harder. My breathing became labored, and sweat prickled underneath my fur. I was hunched low to the ground, and ran as fast as I ever could. I was the fastest runner out of our whole pack, and there was no way Jesse was about to out run me.

I could hear low growls from where I thought someone or something was hiding. Maeve Adel Hunter, get back here this minute! My mother's voice rang through my head. I pushed the image of her angry face out of my mind as I continued to run.

Then all of a sudden, it started to rain. The rain poured down on top of me, and big fat rain drops fell on my head. Thunder ripped through the sky, and shook the Earth. I could hear the small whimpers of my little sister in my head.

I ignored everything at the moment though, and ran towards my prey. I wanted to know who it was, and what they were doing here, and I needed to know now.

Finally I got close enough to hear the snapping of twigs, and the brushing against the trees. I ran faster, my lungs burning, and my legs killing me. I didn't stop though, and then I was in the clearing.

No one was there though.

No one's here, I said in my head, that's impossible, I heard it. Jesse heard it, which means we all, heard it. No one responded to me, and I knew something went wrong, and then that means it was my fault. Again.

I put my muzzle to the ground, and sniffed around, and let's just say it didn't smell too good. Is anyone there? I screamed in my head. When no one responded, I took that as a sign that they all turned back into their human forms.

I pulled out clothes with my teeth, from the bag that was secured on my back. I turned back into my mortal form, and pulled on the ripped jeans, and a white tang top. I searched around the area, and then ran back to our hut. I ran just as fast on my human feet as I did on all fours. It was easier for me to run barefooted then with old clubby shoes on.

"Mom?" I yelled, "Jesse? Otto?"

No one answered and I started to panic. "Teresa?" I called, and when no one answered, I ran right into the clearing. Smoke engulfed me, and I could hear the yelling.

"Where's Maeve?" Someone yelled, "I can't hear her anymore!"

I ran up to our house, and saw the fire coming out of it. "Mom?" I yelled, "What's going on?"

Mom was standing close to the house, with a metal bucket in her hands. At the sound of my voice, she spun around to look at me. Her eyes met mine, and she started to cry. She dropped the bucket, and ran towards me. Her arms flung around my neck, and she buried her face into my shoulder. "What's going on?" I asked, stroking her hair.

Mom looked up at me, her face streaked with tears. "They burnt down the loft," Mom cried, as she wiped her tears on her sleeve.

"Was anyone caught in the fire?" I asked, looking around at my family, who was trying to put out the fire.

"Otto," She whispered, "We haven't found him yet."

"Give me your shoes," I ordered.

"What?" She asked, dumbfounded.

"Give. Me. Your. Shoes." I said through gritted teeth. Mom knew I had a low tolerance for patience, so she pulled off her sneakers, and handed them to me with shaky hands. I grabbed them from her, and shoved my worn out feet into them. Then I bolted for the burning building. "Maeve," I heard Jesse shout.

"Jesse if you come after me I'll kill you," I hollered over my shoulder. I crashed into the wooden door, and into the building. The fire blazed all around me, and I started to sweat right away. "OTTO!" I yelled, and then coughed.

"Maeve please," Jesse called from outside.

"Don't start with me Jesse," I screamed.

I ran further into the dark house, turning things over, and kicking random things. "Otto," I cried, "Please, Otto, answer me."

Someone groaned, and that gave me hope. I ran up the stairs of the building, and decided to check out his room. Sure enough he was on the floor of his room, with his desk on top of him. I got scared for a second, thinking he wasn't going to make it, but then he opened his eyes and looked up at me. "Maeve?" He whispered, in a barely audible voice. He looked so small, and helpless that it took me two seconds to rush over to him, and pull off the desk.

I pulled his small body into my arms, and pressed his head close to my chest. "Otto," I murmured, and then part of the ceiling fell, and I jumped.

"Maeve? What's going on?" Otto whispered, as he looked up at me.

"I'm going to get you out of here," I told him, as I hid his head in my chest, and then whispered quietly, "I promise."

I got up, and ran towards the door. Fire blocked it, so I looked around anxiously. Otto's room was too high up, so I couldn't jump. Suddenly I remembered when Otto told me about a crawl space hidden in his closet.

Holding Otto tightly in my arms, I ran towards his closet, and found the crawl space. I tecanally wouldn't call it a crawl space, because if I hunched over, I could just walk right into it, but I'm not going to get technical. I didn't waste any time. I ran right into it, and slammed my foot repeatedly around to find a trap door.

"Come on," I hissed, and then I hit the floor so hard, I went through it. I screamed, and then crashed to the floor below me. I coughed like crazy, and my vision went black. I could only hear the screams from outside the blazing fire.

My head hit something, and I could feel the blood rushing out. Someone's arms wrapped around me, and lifted me off the floor. I screamed for Otto, and for someone to help him instead of me, but it wasn't working. No one was listening to me, and I couldn't see anything. I was blinded by the blackness that threatened to kill me, and my younger brother.

I couldn't let my mom lose both me and Otto in one day. She took it hard enough when she lost dad, but this would probably kill her. And little Teresa. She wasn't old enough to be one of us. She wasn't old enough to take care of our mother.

Then there's Jesse, who would probably break too if I died. He would become leader of our pack alone, and would lose his best friend. Hopefully he would take care of my family though, and keep them staying strong.

The thing I was really worried about was the someone or something that was hiding in the forest today. I never caught what was stalking us, but I had this strange feeling that when I left our family unprepared, he/she attacked, while my family was weak worrying about me.

Well if I lived through this, I would take revenge. No matter the costs.