Chapter 2: Byers Sorcery

The next morning, Nancy woke up to the sound of soft snores in her bedroom. Sitting up in her bed, she noticed the younger girl lying on the floor, arms sprawled, hair fanned across her pillow and legs entangled in the sheet. Drool pooled at the corner of her mouth as Nancy stifled a giggle. A moment later, a fist knocked on the door, waking Juniper up as she groaned.

Nancy replied to the wake up call and got up from her bed, tidying it up and waiting for June to sit up and wipe the drool from the corner of her lips. Karen called from downstairs and the boys' laughter filled the silence from down in the kitchen, mixed with a loud yawn from Nancy. Helping her younger friend up, Juniper thanked her and didn't bother getting dressed out of her pyjamas. The other boys wouldn't be either, and she wasn't afraid of them judging her because they were all so close.

Stumbling down the steps, Nancy and Juniper entered the kitchen, Nancy straight to the readily boiled kettle to make some coffee.

"Two sugars." June mumbled, Nance acknowledging her with a nod before grabbing another mug.

"Well, well, well... lookie who it is?" Lucas teased as June flopped into her seat, shovelling some porridge into her bowl and dropping numerous types of fruit that she was too tired to even name at this point. After all, they went to bed at 1 in the morning last night, and judging by the look on Mike's face, he hadn't slept well either. Dustin and Lucas seemed fine, but where was Will?

Looking around the dining room, she couldn't find him anywhere.

"Hey, guys? Where's Will?" She asked quietly, voice still groggy. Lucas snorted and nudged her arm playfully.

"Oooh... he's in the bathroom. Said he needed to do some... 'manly business'." Dustin replied, flexing his non-existent muscles as he dug into his chocolate pudding. Juniper's cheeks bloomed a new shade of red as she fixed her eyes back on her bowl, spooning some cut up fruit into her mouth. A moment later, Will appeared and waved, smiling at everyone. Sweet boy.

"Oh, Will. You can sit here today." Lucas got up from beside June and pushed Will down into the chair, Will stammering but not protesting as he awkwardly picked up a plate and served himself some eggs and bacon.

Juniper had only managed to get through some of her porridge (around 6 mouthfuls) before she felt like upchucking it all up onto the table. Not that it was gross, oh no. It was delicious; but she just... didn't want to eat.

"June, honey? You OK?" Karen asked, laying a hand on June's shoulder as the girl struggled to swallow the thick paste. Finally, after a while she managed to gulp it down and shuddered a little, pushing the bowl aside. Karen gave her a disapproving look and Juniper couldn't help but feel guilty.

Luckily the boys hadn't noticed.

Except Will.

Watching her from the corner of his eye, he examined her face as it turned a shade of green, her eyes tearing themselves away from the food and settling on her fiddling hands in her lap. Deciding to stay out of it, he thought that perhaps she was just feeling a little sick or too tired to eat after last night.

"Hey, Bo?" Mike called from the other end of the table as Karen, Nancy and Ted sat down, digging into their food too. Nancy placed a mug of coffee in front of June as she gratefully sighed and said her thank yous before sipping on the dark liquid and relaxing.

"Yes, Mike?" She replied, swigging at her beverage as the warm liquid sloshed down her throat.

"We're sorry... about last night. We didn't mean to get angry." She smiled warmly, making Will's face go warm and a small smile appear on his cheeks too.