45 | emu

"WHAT the hell?" JJ hissed in disbelief. "Why did you call the cops, Mateo?"

           "You said it yourself, you don't want to get shot. Just because this guy is your brother doesn't mean that he isn't dangerous." Mateo shrugged and slipped his phone into his pocket.

           JJ wiped the sweat from his forehead, his heart pounding a mile a minute. "You guys don't understand. I wasn't supposed to come here. I was supposed to let the police do their job."

           "But you told me to have 911 typed into my phone at all times?" Mateo asked with drawn eyebrows.

           JJ smacked his head. He didn't think a situation would arise where they would need to call the cops. "I just wanted you to have it as a precaution, but I didn't think we'd actually use it."

           Teagan's eyes suddenly lit up with ecstasy. "Maybe they can use you."

           All three boys turned to look at her in dismay. "What are you talking about?" Reece asked. JJ stayed quiet. Although a part of him trusted his brother, another part saw the mangled body of Halley Jo, the news breaking with more stories of missing girls, their faces plastered on pieces of paper that covered every spare space around him—electrical poles, billboards, windows. If there was some way he could avenge those girls and stop his brother, he'd do it. And if he saved Lizzy in the process, it would be even better.

           "I mean, the cops can use you. Don't you see? You're his brother. He wants to meet with you in a few hours." Teagan clapped her hands and rotated her attention to Mateo. "Call the police. Tell them to meet us at the far end of the park where they can't be easily seen by Chase's apartment."

           Reece stared at JJ with a blank look in his eyes. "I still don't understand her plan."

           JJ shrugged. He got the gist of it, but he wasn't sure if he could pull it off. "I guess we'll find out."

           Mateo babbled on the phone with Wallace as the four of them made their trek across the street and through the park. JJ just wanted this whole ordeal to be over with, Lizzy safe and secure in his arms. He began to jog, adrenaline pounding through his veins. He caught up with Teagan who picked up her speed.

           They watched as four police cars silently slunk to the park. They parked on the side of the road and officers spilled from the cars including Wallace. "I told you—" Wallace started to say when Teagan shushed him.

           "Shut up. I have this amazing plan, one that you need JJ for," Teagan said. She motioned for the officers to crowd around her. They exchanged weary glances before giving her their attention.

           "What's your plan?" Wallace scoffed at her disrespect, his arms crossed.

           Teagan bounced on her toes excitedly. "Just a few moments ago, JJ tried to visit his brother to save Lizzy; however, Chase told him that he wanted to meet with him in a few hours. I honestly was expecting him to totally turn JJ down completely, but Chase is willing to let JJ into his apartment. And Chase would never ever let police officers enter his apartment, but you guys can plant a camera on him. That way, you can assess the situation before storming in. I think Lizzy will be protected more with this plan because then you have somebody in that apartment, ready to help her, and you can get a look at what you're dealing with before barging in."

           The police officers were impressed by her plan and as they discussed the details with her, JJ sat on a park bench to calm his weary stomach that threatened to empty its contents again.