{Ianthony} Just Us

"Ian!" Anthony cried. "Watch the road!"

"Wha?" Ian said, jerking out of his state of half-sleep. He realized the car was about to drift off the road. "Shit!" He jerked the wheel to the left, pulling them back onto the highway.

"Now that you've almost gotten us killed, can we please stop for the night?" Anthony asked, sighing tiredly.

"No, we're almost home," Ian replied, rubbing his eyes.

"It's still an hour and a half away," Anthony said, frustrated. "Neither of us is awake enough to drive for that long. Just turn off on the next exit and we'll get a motel."

Ian yawned. "Alright, alright, fine. I could use some sleep anyway."

"No kidding," Anthony muttered. Ian turned off the highway, onto some small-town road.

"Where the fuck are we?" he murmured.

"We'll figure that out tomorrow," Anthony said. "There's a motel sign up there, let's just a get a fucking room."

"Someone's cranky when they don't get their sleep," Ian said, smirking. He pulled into the parking lot.

"Fuck off," Anthony said, yawning hugely as he climbed out of the passenger seat. They stumbled across the lot to the motel office. Inside, a middle-aged woman sat at the desk, reading a mystery novel.

"Can we get a room?" Ian asked, running a hand through his hair.

"Let me check," the woman said. She rifled through a small stack of paper on her desk. "Yep, there's one left."

"We'll take it," Ian said, relieved. He reached for his wallet, but Anthony stopped him.

"You paid for the gas this whole trip," he said. "I'll get the room."

"Thanks, man," Ian replied tiredly as Anthony handed his credit card to the woman. She tossed Ian the keys to the room. The keychain was emblazoned with a gold number 24.

"Your room's right at the far end," she said. "Return the keys by ten o'clock tomorrow morning."

"Thanks," Ian said, smiling politely. The woman returned Anthony's card and Ian followed him back out to the parking lot.

"I'll go get our stuff from the car," he offered. "You can go find the room."

"Sure," Anthony replied, taking the room keys. Ian jogged to the car, shivering slightly against the cool night air. He pulled open the trunk of the car and grabbed both of their bags. Looking over his shoulder, he saw that one of the motel's lights had come on. Anthony must have found their room. He hurried toward the light, slinging both bags over his shoulder. He'd never been so excited to get to bed. Well, not when there wasn't a girl involved, anyway.

When he reached the doorway, Anthony was leaning against the doorframe, arms crossed.

"What's up?" Ian asked, confused.

"The room," Anthony said, pointing.

"What's wrong with it?" Ian stepped inside. When he realized what Anthony was talking about, he groaned. One double bed took up most of the space in the small room.

"You'd think the motel lady would have mentioned that," Anthony said, shaking his head.

"She probably thought we were a couple," Ian said. "Wouldn't be the first time… or the second… or the fifth…" He sighed. "I'll sleep on the floor, if you want."

"Nah, it's fine," Anthony replied. "We can share, can't we? We'll just sleep in our clothes."

"Dude, I'm so tired, I don't care what you wear. You could be naked and I'd still sleep next to you," Ian said. Actually, it might be kind of nice…