Chapter One

Chapter One

I look through the window, I see the sun.

            But the sky is dark that I hardly notice it. I button my cardigan, and I tuck in my shirt. My younger sister, Emerald advances towards me. She tugs on my shirt to catch my attention, I quickly turn to her. I see that her expression is gloomy, like the rest of what lives in this place.

            “Jasper, I’m scared.” She says. From her expression, I could clearly tell that her fear is indeed genuine. I try not to act fretful.

            “Why? What’s bothering you?” I ask.

            “My friend, Massie and her family was arrested by the Metropolitan Police. I’m scared. What if they arrest us next?” She hollers.

            “They won’t arrest us. We’re good people, Emerald. Remember that. We might not be rich, but we have good hearts.” I say. I hug her tight, wanting her to know that I’d always be here for her.

            I walk outside our front door, the ambience of the outside world is dark and dreary. I notice the abandoned

buildings right away. What used to be the commercial place where people from twenty-five years ago trade their imports from the Republic when the Astron was still undivided. I mark every step I take, the cracks on the side walk, still seen. Not many actions had been done to renovate the facilities of the Southern City, so what more would I expect if ever I journey to the other nations. But that would be impossible. The Astron Union had prohibited crossing the borders. Exceptional if you are on a government approved trip. It is one of the laws made along the division of the Astron and the announcement of Martial law, twenty years ago. Since then, people from the Southern City has not seen their families from the North Republic, or the Western colony and the Eastern State.

            Besides the illegalization of crossing borders, communication is also prohibited. You may not contact any person from the other nations. My mother used to tell me stories about how people used to have devices that lets you contact a person from another place. But that was a long time ago, that was when the world still had seven continents.

Now, I feel like this is the aftermath of an apocalypse.

 I walk a bit more, and I pass by the house of my sister’s friend, Massie. I see that the Metropolitan Police has disseminated along their house. Their house was like any other house in the Southern City. Dark, dirty and cracked up. The paint has faded, but I could tell it was once picturesque. The Metropolitan Police had set police lasers that would electrify anyone daring enough to cross it. I am among people, staring at the cracked house, speculating on possible reasons why Massie’s family was arrested. I couldn’t ponder for a reason. They were very religious to the point that religion had taken over their lives. How could somebody religious get arrested? Is being religious, illegal now? For sure, Massie’s parents and her older brother, Jett would be taken to the isolation booths, while Massie, being only twelve years old, would be taken to the juvenile isolation booth, where she would live until she becomes eighteen years old and finally transfer to the Isolation booth with her family. Each family is provided a separate cell, being isolated from the rest of the world. But that is not actually a bad thing, they are provided with mediocre meals, three times a day.

Practically, once you’re in isolation booths, they would feed you until you die. As horrid as it sounds, it might be a good place after all. Your medication would also be covered by the Astron Union. But that may be the only good thing around here. That’s where the good ends, the rest are all dire.

            All of a sudden, I see a very familiar face. It’s Mr. Garnet in his usual brown worn out blazer, I see that he still hasn’t shaved his silver beard. I call to him, he seems a little pumped. I press on in a northern direction and without saying anything, he greets me.